4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Plenum with fins?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default Plenum with fins?

OK yall. I now have all my shat for my engine build. The shop guy said he got me an experimental plenum though. It's 75mm and has these 2 little fins inside of it. Apparently it's really good for boosted applications. Has anybody heard of these? I saw it and it looked really neat. Want to know what it's called and how it's supposedly better for boosted cards.

I'll get pics of it next time I go. I only snapped a quick pick of the block before I left and forgot all about the plenum.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:55 AM
redgt2000
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Plenum with fins?

sounds hot man . ive never heard of this..... are they for air directional purposes i suppose?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:58 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i have no clue. i guess it's an experimental one. the shop owner got it for uber cheap since i guess they're not in production really. he just kinda called me and told me i was buying it from him with everything else. i was just kinda like "ok..."

Old 01-08-2007, 12:59 AM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

yea plz post the pic, I really want to see this
Old 01-08-2007, 01:04 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

That's a Dragon plenum[8D]
Old 01-08-2007, 01:04 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Seriously though, I can't imagine what the benefits would be by having fins/blades inside of the upper plenum. You would really have to stretch your imagination to think that fins in a upper plenum are really going to benefit you much. I did check out your pics of the short block though. Congrats!!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Look here......http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=ar...det&aid=38

Old 01-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I beleive in theory the fines are suposed to straighten the air out and make it smoother which will allow it to flow faster. Which creates a low pressure and allows more air to follow... Well you have a boosted car so the low pressure thing probably doesnt apply... Well I thought this theory was interesting and actually had some merit. Well I bought a tornado[:@] yeah yeah, i dont need to hear it. Well I put it on, it gave my car sort of a wistle like a tiny turbo. Then when I had my car dyno tuned, I thought about putting it on the dyno and see if it actually does anything. Well I have a dyno graph for compairison. I lost 2rwhp from the tornado, so it just restricted the air... You can see at the bottom where is says tornado removed... This i beleive is the same idea as your plenum......

Old 01-08-2007, 01:26 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

ACCUFAB FTW!!! That's the reason I got the set. Every test I saw, the Accufab gained over every other combo.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:00 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

that site is actually kinda funny. we threw my car on the dyno with MAC throttle body and plenum, the put on the accufab TB. the accufab actually put down 2RWHP LESS than the cheapest of all TBs, MAC. i stayed with the accufab since it looked nicer and because it was already on anyway.

with those graphs on that site, it looks like the dragon had smoother increase throughout the entire band than the other ones. seems it didn't give as much peak HP, but a little more through the entire thing. i don't know. i think i'm going to make him wait to put that one on when he tunes my car. get a before and after type thing. i'll definitely get pics of it next time i'm there though. i'm gonna call today and see if i can get the actual name and type.

Quick Reply: Plenum with fins?