4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SLUDGE ALREADY?????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default SLUDGE ALREADY?????????

My engine has less than 10000 miles. I changed my oil two weeks ago, with mobil 1. I just checked it today (just for the hell of it) and it was DIRTY. Not really really bad, but it was terrible for 400 miles and 2 weeks. Can I have sludge in there already? Do I need to flush it? WHAT DO I DO??????? This is really getting on my nerves.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:28 AM
mustnglvr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SLUDGE ALREADY?????????

If it looks dirty that means its working.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:31 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

Just because oil is dirty doesn't mean it is time to change just like mustnglvr said it is just doing its job and with a good filter a syn. motor oil can go for 3k + but to each his own, no need to be worried. Now if there was some kind of irregular color I would worry. I personally use mobil 1 and change every 3k or 6 months.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

What color is the oil?

This is what would scare me about buying a heavily modified car without knowing the person, it just doesn't make much sense as to why they would be selling a nearly complete build with a huge investment and a lot of time & effort put into it.

It's typical for a hi-po car to tan oil quicker than a stock engine, but if the oil is looking thicker than it was when you put it in, or if it's black then you should flush it. Maybe you can do an oil change with conventional, run it for a couple days and change it for synthetic again, see if it cleans itself out a bit if you don't want to flush it.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sitnlopro99gt

Just because oil is dirty doesn't mean it is time to change just like mustnglvr said it is just doing its job and with a good filter a syn. motor oil can go for 3k + but to each his own, no need to be worried. Now if there was some kind of irregular color I would worry. I personally use mobil 1 and change every 3k or 6 months.
It's not so much the oil that needs to be changed @ 3k, nor the breakdown of it's viscosity, it's actually how dirty the oil gets. So yeah, if your oil is getting rather dirty less than 1k into an oil change, it's a good idea to change it and get down to the bottom of the problem.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:54 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

ORIGINAL: sitnlopro99gt

It's not so much the oil that needs to be changed @ 3k, nor the breakdown of it's viscosity, it's actually how dirty the oil gets. So yeah, if your oil is getting rather dirty less than 1k into an oil change, it's a good idea to change it and get down to the bottom of the problem.
This is true Dan, it is though a matter of extent. I am assuming he knows what regular driven oil should look like at 1k, 3k etc as opposed to something abnormal which it seems like he does. He says it's really dirty but I could say the same about minethere isn't a whole lot to go off of at this pt. just my .02.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Yep...you pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's impossible to say what the deal is without photos or more detail.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

My engine has less than 10000 miles. I changed my oil two weeks ago, with mobil 1. I just checked it today (just for the hell of it) and it was DIRTY. Not really really bad, but it was terrible for 400 miles and 2 weeks. Can I have sludge in there already? Do I need to flush it? WHAT DO I DO??????? This is really getting on my nerves.
You can look for the beginnings of sludge under your oil fill cap.If there's a milky looking film under the cap after you drive the car it's not boiling off the water and acid that is produced by combustion.If you check this after a normal drive and it's there you arent warming the engine enough and need to change the oil at the 3,000 miles or three monthinterval.
Sludge is a product of the reaction between the acid,water,carbon and dirt that goes through an internal combustion engine.
For all the info you could ever want about oil check out the link in my sig.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

I always wanted to say that, now's my chance.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:29 PM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

This is what would scare me about buying a heavily modified car without knowing the person, it just doesn't make much sense as to why they would be selling a nearly complete build with a huge investment and a lot of time & effort put into it.
I can tell you why!! I have done that myself twice!! The first one was a VW corrado I built the motor 2k then took of the supercharger and put a turbo on it 2.5k put it all together and it didnt run right and I couldnt find anyone to tune it!! I was so frustrated I just sold it!! It probably would have dynoed like 3XXfwhpit was a nasty motor... and a beautifull car...
The seconda honda civic with a front end confersion I did myselfwith a built soch motor some guy just came up to me and asked me if I would sell it..so I did andit wasnt even finished???

Sorry for the off topic post.. I wouldnt stress tomuch about it man..

Quick Reply: SLUDGE ALREADY?????????