4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What is Wrong With My Transmission? (*VIDEO*)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What is Wrong With My Transmission? (*VIDEO*)

Pilot & throw out bearings. Just had mine replaced last month. The colder is was when I 1st started & drove the car the worse it was. Then it would go away once the tranny warmed up. Ford dealer did under warranty.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:11 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

I'm gonna go off topic for a moment.I just wanted to say that I love this board. On no other board are there so many knowledgable people that respond so quickly. Everyone on here sure has helped me with a lot of questions and I try to do the same with others.

So, thanks guys! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 AM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

hmm, i have never heard a TOB sound like that[&:] The only ones ive heard are actual squeaking noise. Mines doin it now.....[:@]
Old 01-09-2007, 12:34 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99mustang0

hmm, i have never heard a TOB sound like that[&:] The only ones ive heard are actual squeaking noise. Mines doin it now.....[:@]
It does that too after it gets warm.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

My TKO is making a lighter version of that sound (and it doesn't matter if it is warmed up or not)... but I know that I have some sycro problems as well, so... I am going to wait until it gets worse before taking that bastard tranny off of there again... I just got it on there (new)... too bad I screwed around for too long to take advantage of the warranty... It was like that from the get go... I guess that I am venting, but making a point at the same time. If you have any kind of warranty, get her to the shop right off... And for that matter, as long as there isn't anything else wrong with it yet, get going on it 'cause it just isn't going to get any better if you know what I mean. I wouldn't chance doing any further damage (it does sound pretty bad)...
Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 AM
ut

My car has the exact same symptom - rattling noise in neutral and 5th when cold. Started about a month ago. My car is still under warranty, but since I have long tubes I'm wondering how that will affect it if I try to get it serviced by Ford.

Don't long tubes have to be pulled to get to the tranny for clutch and/or TOB?

Is the consensus that this is a TOB problem? Thanks guys.

eventer289 - if you take yours into the shop let me know what they say was causing it.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:32 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ut

My car has the exact same symptom - rattling noise in neutral and 5th when cold. Started about a month ago. My car is still under warranty, but since I have long tubes I'm wondering how that will affect it if I try to get it serviced by Ford.

eventer289 - if you take yours into the shop let me know what they say was causing it.
I've talked to numerous people and the general conscensus is that it is the TOB. I am getting a spec stage 2 clutch installed next thursday, so I will let you know if the TOB is definately the problem. I sure as hell hope it is.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:58 PM
ut

ORIGINAL: eventer289

I've talked to numerous people and the general conscensus is that it is the TOB. I am getting a spec stage 2 clutch installed next thursday, so I will let you know if the TOB is definately the problem. I sure as hell hope it is.
Eventer, how did your clutch install go? Did that get rid of your noise?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Would the tob grind like that when in gear? I get that same sound but 2x louder when im in 1st or 2nd at low rpm (800) and i accelerate. It grinds really hard up to 1200 rpm then its fine. No shifting issues or any other problems at all. Let us know if you figure it out.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:35 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eventer289

Eventer, how did your clutch install go? Did that get rid of your noise?
Well I actually had to push the date back until the 21st because it snowed the day before and Mustang on DR's + Snow = NO TRACTION. So, unfortunately I have to wait a few more weeks. I'll keep you guys posted on whether or not my problem is solved.

Quick Reply: What is Wrong With My Transmission? (*VIDEO*)