4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

dig or roll

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:12 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default dig or roll

A lot of you guys say mustangs are really good from a roll, but I have been experimenting and just started to race just a couple friends of mine and it seems like I do way better from a dig. Are mustangs better from a dig generally or from a roll for you guys?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 AM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: dig or roll

I always thought dig....cuz of the torque.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i dont consider from a roll a real race
Old 01-10-2007, 01:30 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

i dont consider from a roll a real race
Me either.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:31 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

mustangs are much better down low from a dig. You will rip a lot of cars out the hole but from a roll it may be a different story
No body wants to race me from a stop because I will beat them But i dont want to race anybody from a roll because I know I dont trap high enough to touch some of these turboed cars.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

mustangs are much better down low from a dig. You will rip a lot of cars out the hole but from a roll it may be a different story
No body wants to race me from a stop because I will beat them But i dont want to race anybody from a roll because I know I dont trap high enough to touch some of these turboed cars.
That explains something to me. A few days ago I raced my friends Evo VIII, and he would race me from a 40 mph roll and he always schooled me by about 1.5 car lengths. But then we went from 10 mph roll and I was only behind by about .5-1 length. I knew we might be dead even if I raced him from a dig, but he didn't want to for some bull**** reason. Something about how his computer will sense stress on the differential so it will put stress on the clutch or something else to relieve the differential.... i dunno. So he wouldn't race from a dig. I always feel like I pull and start way harder from a dig though over a roll.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: handyandy

That explains something to me. A few days ago I raced my friends Evo VIII, and he would race me from a 40 mph roll and he always schooled me by about 1.5 car lengths. But then we went from 10 mph roll and I was only behind by about .5-1 length. I knew we might be dead even if I raced him from a dig, but he didn't want to for some bull**** reason. Something about how his computer will sense stress on the differential so it will put stress on the clutch or something else to relieve the differential.... i dunno. So he wouldn't race from a dig. I always feel like I pull and start way harder from a dig though over a roll.
it's because he knows you'll win from a dig. Tell him to run a real race.... from a dig. A roll race takes barely any skill.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:43 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

my buddy has a 1.8 turbo jetta

from 0-60 i get him by 6-9 cars < dig big difference once turbo spools up its a little different
from 40-60 in second i get him by half-1 car
from 70-100 i get him by 1-2 car

Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fryguy22

it's because he knows you'll win from a dig. Tell him to run a real race.... from a dig. A roll race takes barely any skill.
True dat, I dont believe in rolls. It was actually the first race I've had with my car. Those evo's are pretty quick though, he is all stock except a little bit of exhaust work. I thought that AWD would school me from a dig though. You dont think it wouldn't?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

RWD- allows the weight upon launching to shift to the back, over the tires that are driven, *check RWD
Gearing- 3.27's, (or in your case, 4.10's) are EXCELLENT for getting out of the hole, not to mention the added torque multiplication
HP- we all know that 225 wheel hp isnt a lot. so the longer we can keep the speeds below 100 (quarter mile) the better

:-)

simple ideas, but all true

Quick Reply: dig or roll