4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

S/C vs. 3 major N/A parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: S/C vs. 3 major N/A parts

I gotta question for ya... Wouldnt spray be faster than a supercharger.. There is no "lag" and you can adjust it to make approx the same HP as a supercharger... I have yet to line up against a supercharged stang.. I had a guy running his mouth how he could spank me but when it came down to it he backed down.. and he didnt even know I was spraying. I wouldnt tell him my mods LOL... what a vag!! I was all pumped up too... He was like I can launch at 6k... I asked him what tires he was running and what suspension mods he had.. this was his reply... "stock suspension with 245/16/40 (or something like that Nitto's)" I just said ok.. lets go....
Old 01-12-2007, 08:21 PM
MarineCorps03GT
2nd Gear Member

Damn you guys have been going to town while I was gone lol. So the answer was that I'd deffinitely be better off getting it blown as a first mod, rather than cams, heads, and stroke kit, right? That's what I thought. And I'd LOVE to do both, but yea money's a liiiittle short for that. But if I DID go with a s/c, then wouldn't I have to beef up the engine anyway? A bone stock car with a s/c thrown on... not too manyways that will end up good.Something's gonna go wrong in a short amount of time. So in the end, I'd have to buyeither a new block or heads anyway, right?Which completelydefeats the purpose of keeping things relativelycheap. (s/c + heads = around5100 without installation/taxAHHH)

How about this question... how big of a difference would I REALLY see in those 3 n/a parts versus the s/c? Would it be significant? Are we talking like around12.5 s/c'dcompared to like 13.5 n/a?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:41 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

id go with the heads/cams/stroked anyday. N/a power is 10 times safer than F/I, or turbo.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 PM
04gtmatt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slow99GT

I gotta question for ya... Wouldnt spray be faster than a supercharger.. There is no "lag" and you can adjust it to make approx the same HP as a supercharger... I have yet to line up against a supercharged stang.. I had a guy running his mouth how he could spank me but when it came down to it he backed down.. and he didnt even know I was spraying. I wouldnt tell him my mods LOL... what a vag!! I was all pumped up too... He was like I can launch at 6k... I asked him what tires he was running and what suspension mods he had.. this was his reply... "stock suspension with 245/16/40 (or something like that Nitto's)" I just said ok.. lets go....
Your joking right? supercharger lagA blower will mmake boost from 3200 up and nitrous, if you spray below 3000 say bye bye to your intake.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 PM
MarineCorps03GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: svt99redcobra

id go with the heads/cams/stroked anyday. N/a power is 10 times safer than F/I, or turbo.
Thats the same way I feel. I mean I know the s/c will be faster, but I'd always be wondering when something's gonna break. Peace of mind is a good thing to have. Plus, if I do the n/a stuff now,the door for an insane blown car sometime in the future is wide open.Oh and there's no lag on an n/a engine, is there? The centri chargerstake a while and that'sno fun But still, the new question remains... would there be a huge difference between my 3 peicen/a setup compared to the mongoose kit? Give me some numbers to work with...

EDIT: svt99redcobra you're the little angel sitting on my shoulder lol
Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

not quite ive seen centris makin power as low as 2500 rpm's.....and if you gotwin screwthen dont really have to worry bout any sort of lag....now if you do with the built bottom end, heads, cams, (ditch that plastic intake), beef up the suspension some, 31 spline axle, slicks, and a clutch, youd be happy. if your on a budget go with the blower, regardless the blower will make more power, the 2v just doenst make much power n/a. now the 4v iv seen make upwards of 430 n/a.

your block is good for 400ish hp so if you get a mongoose kit, you should be fine with a good tune.im sure if you check ebay and even the forums you could find a decent used blower for anywhere between 2000, and 4000 with all necessary parts for installation. now youadd some slicks and a clutch, at that point youll be happy and so will your wallet.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:08 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

ive seen forged bottom ends for a lot cheaper. i believe it was the 4130 aluminum for the rods and pistons and i cant remember what the material was for the crank
ORIGINAL: ben790450

Nah man more like ten to fifteen. . .

5k for the KB
5k for the bottom end
3k for the top end
Now you gotta have it all installed

Old 01-12-2007, 09:31 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Lots of mis-information in this thread.

Get a D1SC kit if you're looking to build it up later. Going N/A on a 2v, is probably the worst most costly thing you could do. My hats off to a few people who have done it successfully and spent assloads of money getting there. But my used 2500$ s/c kit puts out more power than just about every 2v out there.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:38 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

so true.....if your worried about your bottom end then run 6-9 psi, until you get the forged bottom end. you'll save yourself so much money if you get a used kit, then save up for the bottom end
ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Lots of mis-information in this thread.

Get a D1SC kit if you're looking to build it up later. Going N/A on a 2v, is probably the worst most costly thing you could do. My hats off to a few people who have done it successfully and spent assloads of money getting there. But my used 2500$ s/c kit puts out more power than just about every 2v out there.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slow99GT

Assuming you will go with full exhaust and full intake, Its S/C for sure.

60ft times? Not really a part of it. Power and 1/4 mile times S/C.

60ft just depends on your suspension,weight, tires, driving, powertrainetc

I would disagree. You will have more instant power with all motor. On centrif chargers like those you dont have full boost untill you are at a decent RPM Things to keep in mind
No replacement for displacment
#1 replacement = N20
#2 replacement =Turbo
#3 replacement = supercharger..

In all acutallity you should get better times out of an all motor car. But you have to find someone who has built and stroked the 4.6 you usually dont hear of to many people doing it??? Dunno why.. maybe the 4.6 doesnt get a big gain from stroking it???
I would disagree with your disagreement. He asked for POWER and 1/4 mile time. on the strip, blower will never even get out of boost, there would be NO lag whatsoever so I dont really know what you are talking about there. Power is a big DUH. S/C

A stroker kit is almost worthless. (Prime example in my sig)

Quick Reply: S/C vs. 3 major N/A parts