4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

wet and dry sleeving on a teksid block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default wet and dry sleeving on a teksid block?

I got a few questions, I know I dont see anyone here with a big bore 4.6. But mabye you guys know the answer anyways....

I have a teksid aluminum block from a 94 lincoln mark 8. I read Sean Hylands but on 4.6 modular power. He states that the teksid block is good for 1600hp. This is the reason I went out and bought a used motor for $400. I have been reading that to do a big bore the block needs to be resleeved, either dry or wet.

I know the two obvious differences between dry and wet sleeving. But does this need to be done with a teksid block? Arent the dry sleeves of the teksid block good enough, since its supposidly as strong as Sean Hyland states... I know I hear alot of people talk **** about Sean Hyland, so who knows.

Is the dry sleeving just for WAP blocks? I guess wet sleeving is always an option for the teksid block for improved cooling and strength. Or should I just ditch the used block and buy a new WAP block and have that resleeved right off the bat?

Also how do you guys recommend me storing my block.. I just currently have it in a storage unit, and I periodicly spray the block with WD-40. Is this good enough?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 10:43 PM
koumiss45
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: wet and dry sleeving on a teksid block?

Store your block in a 55 gallon drumof oil, i have heard of people dry sleeving the block and being ok. I personally know someone who has one that is @800 rwhp
Old 01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: koumiss45

Store your block in a 55 gallon drumof oil, i have heard of people dry sleeving the block and being ok. I personally know someone who has one that is @800 rwhp
lol... that would be the best solution... But its not practical.

The teksid already has dry sleeves. If I bored it .020 over it would be as good as new... The big bore is bored .120 over. So you buddy has a dry sleeved block? Which one WAP or teksid block?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:23 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

A dry sleeve for a big bore means no fluid runs through the sleeve and a wet sleeve has fluid running through the sleeve for cooling purposes allowing more HP potential. The dry sleeve is cheaper and can't handle as much boost as the wet sleeve.

Dry Sleeve

Wet Sleeve
Old 01-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I have never seen what the dry sleeve looks like. thats not the typical sleeves you find in an aluminum block... lol.. And that dry sleeve is installed in a teksid block, so I guess that answers my question. I can see how that really restricts the coolant passages on the deck... Deffinitly just by the holes drilled in the sleeves im sure helps alot for cooling, along with other design qualitys. Thats pretty extensive..... I am thinking that only needs to be done for a big bore. A stroker doesnt need to be bored very much..
Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

I have never seen what the dry sleeve looks like. thats not the typical sleeves you find in an aluminum block... lol.. And that dry sleeve is installed in a teksid block, so I guess that answers my question. Thats pretty extensive..... I am thinking that only needs to be done for a big bore. A stroker doesnt need to be bored very much..
A stroker doesn't need to be bored at all unless the block needs to be cleaned up alittle.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

I have never seen what the dry sleeve looks like. thats not the typical sleeves you find in an aluminum block... lol.. And that dry sleeve is installed in a teksid block, so I guess that answers my question. Thats pretty extensive..... I am thinking that only needs to be done for a big bore. A stroker doesnt need to be bored very much..
A stroker doesn't need to be bored at all unless the block needs to be cleaned up alittle.
I know, but my blocks got 120k miles on it... It needs to be bored and honed, and align honed.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:05 AM
04gtmatt
2nd Gear Member

A wet sleve is more for boosted aplicayions. The dry sleeves are have problems with heat issues. If your goingto do it get a b/b stroker wich is 324ish cubic inch. I almost went b/b but its expensive