4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger Q

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 03:50 PM
00Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger Q

Sorry if this has been asked. What is a good supercharger for a 2000 GT conv? I hear prochamber is better than vortech. Is this true? I'm thinking about getting a supercharger but I'm not sure if I wanna spend that type of money right now. Thanks
Old 09-29-2004, 04:08 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Supercharger Q

Prochamber is a mid-pipe made by Mac... Procharger is a supercharger

And in my opinion, Vortech owns Prochargers a$$ ... its just that the Prochargers come with an intercooler (and cost alittle more), and its cheaper to get a Procharger with an intercooler than Vortech with an aftercooler...

But comparing head-units - Vortech wins in performance and reliability
Old 09-29-2004, 04:33 PM
00Stang
2nd Gear Member

wow! that's sad, I can't believe I put prochamber....sorry bout that, I meant procharger.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:30 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

I disagree MD... I used to think there was no other way but Vortech, after I did some research my mind was changed forever. Here we go...

Performance and Reliabilty
ATI Superchargers feature precision gear drives, super precision bearings, full CNC machining, aircraft quality tolerances and 7075 T-6 billet impellers. Prochargers also have more throat area, a larger volute, and a super high flow impeller. All of which allow more airflow than Vortech. A procharger P-1SC (basic model) can flow more air and Vortech upgraded units. Prochargers also have bulletproof gear drives. Prochargers Billet impellers are much stronger than cast impellers (like vortech). Overspinning with a Procharger is almost non-existant. Because of the improved billet impellers, the transmission of the S/C must also be improved. With out it, the Billet impeller would tear the transmission to pieces (seen very often in OTHER S/C's under high boost circumstances). Prochargers have the largest and strongest impellers, this means that the critical speed (boost creation) can be achieved at much lower engine speeds. The Billet impeller also weights 2 ounces less than a cast, this means less transmission load. So how do you figrue Vortechs have "Better power and reliablity"? Prochargers are backed by a 3 year warranty, hows that for reliablity huh? Procharger kits come complete with things like the industries highest flowing Surge/Bypass valve, fuel management unit, and battery relocation kit.

Intercooling facts
With procharger Intercoolers, due to their effieciency, timing can be kept at or near factory specs. Air-Air intercooling is a highly effiecient one step process. Air-Air intercooling is very simplistic, and very easy to install. John Hunkins from Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine stated "Street cars will benefit must more from and air-to-air intercooler. This is because the coolest air charge from and air-to-water intercooler is available only with a fresh charge of ice and water. Ice melts quickly when circulated through and intercooler, so its useful life is measured only in minutes." Typical Air-to-Air effectiveness is around 65-80% whereas a typical Air-Water system has a 25-55% effectivness. A Prochager Intercooler system is considered part of the S/C system whereas Vortechs are Add-Ons. Their Air-Water coolers have a multitude of hardware, with air, water, and electrical components to install and maintain. Procharger intercoolers have a 1 year warranty as apposed to the 90 day warranty that Vortech offers.

In conclusion (hehe), Prochaged racers hold 10 records in 6 classes, and are positioned to win 6 national championships. ATI powers the fastest centrifugal race cars in Super Street Outlaw, Street Renegade, Drag Radial, Modular, Pro-5.0, and Super Street classes. ATI also powers 90% of all centrifugal racers in the 7's and the ONLY centrigual racers in the 9's!!

Vortechs are great superchargers, but Procharger is going above, beyond, and their domination of the market has begun. When Procharger first came out, they did indeed have reliablity and head unit issues. They have long sense fixed that. Saying that Prochargers arent as reliable or powerful is very very old news. Maybe that is why Vortech has reduced their power claims for the second year in at row, and refuse to do a head to head Dyno test with Procharger, why?? Procharger has taken Vortech to court over false advertisment due to their continuous power claim reductions. Even after a lawsuit, Vortech still refuses a head to head dyno test. IMO Vortech is old .
Old 09-29-2004, 06:44 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

I see you've been reading the Procharger website hehe, don't you think their alittle biased? You can't compare an intercooled Procharger to a non-intercooled Vortech - and thats exactly what they do. And then theirs the cost issue - a brand NEW Vortech tuner kit costs $2300, add injectors, fuel pump, and a tune and your at $2900

Compare that to the $3800 it costs you to get a ProCharger w/intercooler. And as far as reliability goes... well I just don't see a comparison... they may have gotten better, but they simply cannot last as long as a Vortech with the way they are designed.

Hey both kits are great - If I wanted to spend another $1000 for 20 more hp then I may have went with a ProCharger... nah... lol I woulda gotten a Paxton A/A and used it with my Vortech.

I suppose the Vortech / Procharger debate is kinda like Ford vs Chevy... really if I had it to do over again I woulda gotten a Novi2000
Old 09-29-2004, 07:22 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

No, I wasnt reading the Procharger website, damn it hehe. Also I didnt do one single comparison to an Intercooled procharger Vs. Non-intercooled Vortech. The comparisons I made were Unit Vs. Unit, Cooler Vs. Cooler, and Warranty comparisons. Thats the opinion I have come to after reading and researching. Vortech doesnt even make a charge cooler for 94-95's. I just think everyone should do research before they choose their product. The Prochargers components are clearly stronger. It seems like everyone goes with Vortech just because its Vortech. The reason why I spilled out all that Pro-Procharger stuff is because I feel like they dont get enough recognition due to Vortechs big name. Some people think Vortech is the best hands down and have no idea why. They think that just because someone else told em so.

Both companies create excellent products, but if I'm going to spend that much money on forced induction, its going to be the best I can buy. Once again, based on my fair comparisons between the two companies, my money would go to Procharger.

Your system rocks MD, Im not having a pissing contest.. Just stating my opinion, dont want you to think Im trying to be a **** about it.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:49 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Well if we want the BEST - then I'd get a Kenne Bell
Old 09-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Well if we want the BEST - then I'd get a Kenne Bell
If you have the $, go the twin screw route. I'ts a better route.
_________
02 S281E #60 R.I.P.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:51 PM
NicksMeanGT
2nd Gear Member

well, i've been researching alot about procharger lately and i've decided that their system is the only one that's gonna touch my 4.6 this winter. to add to 94cbra's excellent answer, i am buying their system because of 1.) the 3 year warranty ( they must be confident, huh?), 2.) the air to air intercooler...which is much more reliable than liquid to air, and 3.) the self-containment oiling system. Add the fact that roots style have so much low end grunt that it reduces the life of the rest of your drivetrain and most of the time that low end power is actually TOO much and hard to utilize. Also procharger's are relatively simple to install and WELL WORTH the extra money. I know where my money's going, and i hope everyone see's the light.

Nick
Old 09-30-2004, 01:54 PM
00Stang
2nd Gear Member

So I should go with the Procharger?

Quick Reply: Supercharger Q