4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just Installed My MGW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:46 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default Just Installed My MGW!!!

DAMN THAT THING KICKS A$$!!!

The only problem I had was WAITING FOR IT TO ARRIVE! They were back-ordered for a week, and by the time it arrived, I was tearing myself apart! The install was very mainstream, just like the instructions said. And I really saved alot of mess-making by using CobraBob's Shifter Gaskets. Thanks Bob! It took about 1 hour, but it was done halfway in the dark using a mag-light, lol.

I took her out for a test drive and let it rip...it was wayyyy too awesome. The shifts are cut down by about 40% and feel MUCH better than the stock shifter. I can put a can of soda in the cup holder nearest to the shifter and I can slide my finger right through.I especially liked the rotating handle. I can put the handle in the middle, so it looks like a normal shifter(as opposed to the offset Mustang handles). The hardest part wasmoving itaround for a comfortable position. I set it a little offset from center.

This product rocks and I recommend it to anybody looking for a short throw! Thanks MGW!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Just Installed My MGW!!!

Cool. I understand the shifts are shorter, but how does it feel different? Is it notchier, stiffer, or is it smooth? I know with the stocker you kinda have to wrestle with it to get it in gear sometimes. How does it feel with the MGW?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:50 PM
ant02gt
3rd Gear Member

i thought about buying one but never did. Maybe i should...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:56 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Yes, Definately do so.

The feel is more notchy than stock, because of the positive stops and shorter shifts. Thats the case with any shifter. But my uncle has a 1999 Cobra and he has the Steeda Tri-Ax and it's MUCH more notchy than this one. Moving from 2nd to 3rd, or 4th to 5th is very smooth because neutral is much smoother with no notchiness to it like the stock ones. But it makes a big difference in driving, it's much easier. I can rest my arm on the armrest pad and still shift into any gear including reverse. My old shifter sometimes wouldn't let me into reverse or 1st and I don't have that problem now. The only disadvantage is that it is a bit more noisy in the cockpit. It's noisy even with the shifter gasket, and I can't imagine it without it. I can also really feel the power in the shifter handle and ****. It tends to vibrate powerfully under 2k rpms, but I actually like it. Gives you the feel of power under your hand.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:03 AM
timi
2nd Gear Member

hey man, glad to hear you like so much. i've been looking at that shifter and a the tri-ax. nowi think i'll go with the mgw myself.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:10 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Im gonna be swapping for MGW soon. I have the pro50. Its not the ****. lol. Glad to hear you like it. Keep the mods coming.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:12 AM
6charger8
2nd Gear Member

Best mod so far for me.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:13 AM
jusnkris
2nd Gear Member

all i hear is good things about these shifters.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the answer on the feel of the shifter. Yeah noise shouldn't be a problem, I usually have my CD player blasting or the windows down to hear my Magnapacks. Looks like the MGW will definately be next on the list.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:46 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Good move on the MGW... bought my brother a Pro 5.0 a while ago. Thought it was a huge improvement over the stock feel, but I have a TKO 500 and was going to wait until they get one of those out for it... From what I have been hearing on this site, I will have to do better then my brother and get one of the MGW short throws for mine... if they make one for it... I will have to check now.

Quick Reply: Just Installed My MGW!!!