4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust question concerning the o2 sensor...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
stilllearnin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust question concerning the o2 sensor...?

The hole is in the muffler and i am just using the problem as an excuse to go ahead and buy a whole new system... so i am basically trashing what i have with the exception of the headers and buying all new and need to know what to do if i wat an o/r performance midpipe in the system for sure... what else do i need?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:37 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stilllearnin

The hole is in the muffler and i am just using the problem as an excuse to go ahead and buy a whole new system... so i am basically trashing what i have with the exception of the headers and buying all new and need to know what to do if i wat an o/r performance midpipe in the system for sure... what else do i need?
Alright, so if the hole is in the muffler, and if you liked the flowmasters before, you could probably just buy a new muffler from them and get it welded into the pipe you already have. That would save you a lot of money from completely replacing the entire catback if you already had an aftermarket cat back in there.

The exhaust manifold/headers, midpipe, and cat back are all their own things. You can replace them all seperately if you want with only one exception. The only exception is if you have aftermarket LT headers, and then you need a shorter midpipe, but if you're just going to keep stock you don't have to worry about that at all. You don't NEED any other part of the exhaust to add one other than in that case of the LTs. So if you want to just get a shop to weld in a new muffler to replace that old one, then get a mid pipe as well, then you'll be good.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:41 PM
stilllearnin
2nd Gear Member

That is exactly what i needed to know thank you so much.. so i can just replace the muffler, keep the catback and get a new off road mid pipe?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:43 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stilllearnin

That is exactly what i needed to know thank you so much.. so i can just replace the muffler, keep the catback and get a new off road mid pipe?
if the midpipe you have now is good you dont need to replace that. just go to pep boys and get the flowmaster mufflers. 40 series. itll sound the same and be the same as a regular catback.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:57 PM
stilllearnin
2nd Gear Member

Alright cool
Old 01-15-2007, 06:58 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, you don't NEED to replace the midpipe, that's just up to you. I certainly would if I were you because it makes a nice difference. It was certainly enough that I could feel a decent amount more pull, then again, I have a non-PI so it doesn't take much to improve what I already have. It also makes it sound a LOT better when you get those cats off there. If you want a little quieter, even deeper, and less trouble with law (depending on where you are) you can also look into getting a mid pipe with high flow cats on it. That way you don't have to worry about emissions and it will quiet it down a little bit while still allowing it to flow a lot better than that stock mid pipe.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 PM
stilllearnin
2nd Gear Member

See i do want that loud sound
Old 01-15-2007, 07:14 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Then if you have the money for it, throw an off road mid pipe on there while you're at it! It'll make it sound a lot better than that stock midpipe you have now. As I said before, I like my prochamber because it's not too loud down low so I can drive it relatively quiet if I NEED to (in the neighborhood at night, around cops, etc), however when I hit it it's nice and loud. Otherwise I'd suggest the H pipe for you because you want the deep sound.

We just wanted to make sure that you knew that you didn't NEED to replace anything more than the muffler to fix your problem. The midpipe will just make it flow better and sound better.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 PM
stilllearnin
2nd Gear Member

I probably will do that.. I if i got a new set of mufflers and a new mid pipe what do you think i should expect to spend
Old 01-15-2007, 07:31 PM
stilllearnin
2nd Gear Member

$$$$$?

Quick Reply: exhaust question concerning the o2 sensor...?