4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

poor performance because service soon light

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: poor performance because service soon light

ORIGINAL: M1ke

you must not have noticed it. When I swapped my midpipe (catted) I still got the o2 sensor errors for the front two on both banks and until I replaced them, the car ran a little rough w/the CEL on
well ummm, that's because you got you got codes for your front sensors, and those are the ones that determine a/f. we're talking about the rears (monitors)
Old 01-17-2007, 04:13 PM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

Yeah, when I swapped out my midpipe my car started to run very rich. I couldn't see a whole lot of difference in performance, but I did notice my gas milage was down quite a bit. Once I put the MIL eliminators on and reset the computer it went back to normal.

Hey I've been having the same problem..My gas mileage has been horrible ever since I put my o/r x pipe on..I have an SCT Tuner but it makes my car run even more rich, so I took the tune off and still for the past 3 months I have yet to witness a check engine light...I do NOT have MIL eliminators either...hmmm...??? Should I just attempt to reset the computer??
Old 01-17-2007, 04:34 PM
sevilla
1st Gear Member

yes... im speaking about rear O2, not Front
Old 01-17-2007, 04:34 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StealthGT2V

Yeah, when I swapped out my midpipe my car started to run very rich. I couldn't see a whole lot of difference in performance, but I did notice my gas milage was down quite a bit. Once I put the MIL eliminators on and reset the computer it went back to normal.

Hey I've been having the same problem..My gas mileage has been horrible ever since I put my o/r x pipe on..I have an SCT Tuner but it makes my car run even more rich, so I took the tune off and still for the past 3 months I have yet to witness a check engine light...I do NOT have MIL eliminators either...hmmm...??? Should I just attempt to reset the computer??
If you turn off the sensors with a tuner or if you add MIL eliminators, you still need to clear the computer to clear out that previous code. At least that's how I've always been told. I just unhooked the battery while I installed the MIL eliminators and never had a problem again. For anyone who says it doesn't make any difference to how the car runs, I'm sorry to tell you that that was most certainly not the case for me. I drove the same route I drive on a regular basis (to the hockey game) which is 20 miles, and while this normally takes maybe 1/8th of a tank of gas or maybe a little more round trip (mix of city and highway), it took at least a good 1/4 of my tank going ONE WAY before I put the eliminators on. So yeah, the gas milage was horrible before I got the eliminators on there, since then I've had no problem.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:15 PM
DrBob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheMustangLoveR

Screw A/F, you still should have dyno'd it after you got the light taken care of to solidify the fact that the CEL didn't affect performance.
I now have mil-eliminators installed and the only change I can notice is the light is now turned off. I honestly could not tell a "seat of the pants" change, nor were my dyno numbers any different before and after. I have had an O2 sensor out on my 2003 4.6 Explorer for about 6 months now. When I asked the Ford mechanic if I needed to replace it anytime soon he told me only if the light bothered me. Maybe I have been lucky, but I honestly could not tell adifference.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 PM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StealthGT2V

If you turn off the sensors with a tuner or if you add MIL eliminators, you still need to clear the computer to clear out that previous code. At least that's how I've always been told. I just unhooked the battery while I installed the MIL eliminators and never had a problem again. For anyone who says it doesn't make any difference to how the car runs, I'm sorry to tell you that that was most certainly not the case for me. I drove the same route I drive on a regular basis (to the hockey game) which is 20 miles, and while this normally takes maybe 1/8th of a tank of gas or maybe a little more round trip (mix of city and highway), it took at least a good 1/4 of my tank going ONE WAY before I put the eliminators on. So yeah, the gas milage was horrible before I got the eliminators on there, since then I've had no problem.

Thanks for the insight, Im just going to re-install my tune and reset the computer...Hopefully it works for me...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 PM
2004GTRED
2nd Gear Member

60$ for Steeda Mil deletes or deal with the annoying light........i think i will take the light.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

The rear 02 sensors are just emmisions sensors. They have nothing to do with your A/F. The front two deal with that.

My friend has a 2001 GT and he has been driving with the MIL on for about a year. There was no loss in performance on his car.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2004GTRED

60$ for Steeda Mil deletes or deal with the annoying light........i think i will take the light.
So what happens when someone really goes wrong with your car and you don't know it becuase the light was already on? It's just one of those things. You can do it half assed or you can do it right. Spend the extra money so you don't end up with a bigger problem that you miss since you didn't get eliminators or a tune to turn the sensors off.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2004GTRED

So what happens when someone really goes wrong with your car and you don't know it becuase the light was already on? It's just one of those things. You can do it half assed or you can do it right. Spend the extra money so you don't end up with a bigger problem that you miss since you didn't get eliminators or a tune to turn the sensors off.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quick Reply: poor performance because service soon light