4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

poor performance because service soon light

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 PM
jepostang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: poor performance because service soon light

Take it to the track with the light on and then without it on, I bet you will runa hell of a lot better when the light is off.
I am speaking from experience, I had my o/r x-pipe with no mil eliminators and it run fine driving around doing my day to day crap. I took it to the track and it didn't have the usual kick in the pants even before I put the x-pipe on.

I THEN installed the mil eliminators and it run way better at the track. 6 tenths quicker!

So yes, SAFE MODE!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:30 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

Yeah, when I swapped out my midpipe my car started to run very rich. I couldn't see a whole lot of difference in performance, but I did notice my gas milage was down quite a bit. Once I put the MIL eliminators on and reset the computer it went back to normal.
Maybe it's just the 96 and 97 that do that but when my CEL came on a few days after putting O/R x-pipe on, I had the same issue with it running rich. I had it idling in a small parking garage (waiting to take someone to the airport) and it was really obnoxious as far as the exhaust fumes. The gas mileage to the airport and back was noticeably bad…
Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

It'll def. hammer your gas mileage and your car will run richer than normal.

DrBob needs to play nice....
Old 01-18-2007, 10:56 AM
2004GTRED
2nd Gear Member

Ok, this has really been bugging me so i ask my buddy who is a Ford Mech. He has his degree in mechanics/went to the Ford school and is now going to the SVT school. so he should know a thing or 2. The back two plugs will make your light come on but have NO effect on the computer in an 04. Now he also siad there wasa change in the computer he could not remeber the year but it was the year the IAT changed, 01 he thought . Those years do have an effect with the MIL. It will make your car run lean/rich. He is going to try to find something on this today so maybe i can post it. After he told this to me i searched the furoms for posts like this and noticed that ppl with New Edges say there is no effect while ppl with 99/01 or below seem to say there is an effect more often. It will be interesting to see what my buddy finds on this.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:11 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2004GTRED

Ok, this has really been bugging me so i ask my buddy who is a Ford Mech. He has his degree in mechanics/went to the Ford school and is now going to the SVT school. so he should know a thing or 2. The back two plugs will make your light come on but have NO effect on the computer in an 04.
Exactly!I'm(20+ plus years )ASE Master Certified,,L1 and L2 and drivabilty is my main job....The rear 02s do not affect A/F Ratio....The ONLY reason they are there,,is to monitor cat convertor efficincy....when the cats grow weak or bad ,,,the cel will comeon,,....
Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8banger

Ok, this has really been bugging me so i ask my buddy who is a Ford Mech. He has his degree in mechanics/went to the Ford school and is now going to the SVT school. so he should know a thing or 2. The back two plugs will make your light come on but have NO effect on the computer in an 04. Now he also siad there wasa change in the computer he could not remeber the year but it was the year the IAT changed, 01 he thought . Those years do have an effect with the MIL. It will make your car run lean/rich. He is going to try to find something on this today so maybe i can post it. After he told this to me i searched the furoms for posts like this and noticed that ppl with New Edges say there is no effect while ppl with 99/01 or below seem to say there is an effect more often. It will be interesting to see what my buddy finds on this.
Exactly!I'm(20+ plus years )ASE Master Certified,,L1 and L2 and drivabilty is my main job....The rear 02s do not affect A/F Ratio....The ONLY reason they are there,,is to monitor cat convertor efficincy....when the cats grow weak or bad ,,,the cel will comeon,,....
*1 I think I have explained this many times on this forum but still all the magazine mechanics will disagree and say it hurts performance.

To put it simple that light means you will not pass an emmisions test.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BBond007

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

Yeah, when I swapped out my midpipe my car started to run very rich. I couldn't see a whole lot of difference in performance, but I did notice my gas milage was down quite a bit. Once I put the MIL eliminators on and reset the computer it went back to normal.
Maybe it's just the 96 and 97 that do that but when my CEL came on a few days after putting O/R x-pipe on, I had the same issue with it running rich. I had it idling in a small parking garage (waiting to take someone to the airport) and it was really obnoxious as far as the exhaust fumes. The gas mileage to the airport and back was noticeably bad…
My CEL never even came on. I only drove it for like 2 days before I put the MIL eliminators on. I actually checked the mail after I set the car back down and they were in there so I installed them a few days later. It immediately was running rich.
ORIGINAL: 8banger

Hey, that's fine. I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about either, but I absolutely did run rich as hell when I swapped my pipe before I put the MIL eliminators on. We can come up with any reason in the world for why it did it, but the bottom line is that it did. You don't have to be a mechanic to see your car guzzle down a quarter of a tank going 20 miles and know it's running rich. I'm just using the obvious solution in saying it was the O2 sensors since that's the only thing that ties into the computer that was changed at all.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:30 AM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

When I put my or pipe on the code came and went as it pleased...with it on I got noticeably worse mileage than with it off, and I make the same trips monday through friday
Old 01-18-2007, 11:50 AM
1fast 99gt
4th Gear Member

i just installed my o/r midpipe and the engine light didnt come on yet. I put the o2 sensors back in the rear of the pipe.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Quick Reply: poor performance because service soon light