4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why do CAI's seem useless?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why do CAI's seem useless?

jlt is the best because its long and black, and it has the girth to go along with it[&:]
Old 01-19-2007, 03:08 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

well i just bought a JLT ram air intake to go with the 75mm accufab tb/plenum i just bought. im thinking that huge pipe will help with airflow, and ive heard that its hard to fit the stock intake over the 75mm tb.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:15 PM
AvidMustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

Just repleace the stock filter with a K&N High Flow and remove the silencer. If you want, you could even modify the airbox to open the filter up like some CAI's.
thats what i did
Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 PM
RoadLizard
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NaplesFL03GT

Seems like nowadays most of the CAI's that are on the market are useless except for the JLT cold air. What makes the JLT better than the other CAI's? Are the fender CAI's better than the ones? Has anyone ever dynoed a CAI?
Whatevidence can you supply thatwould indicateJLT is better than the other CAI's? Popularity of a given brand often is a poor indicator of a product's superior performance over a competing brand. I looked at JLT and bought a less costly brandthat does the same thing. Is mine less effective or lower performing than the JLT? Not according to Brent from Brenspeed.... He sells several brands and I asked him point-blank if I would be able to see a difference on paper between the brands he sells (C&L; JLT; AirRaid; Steeda; WMS...). He indicated that the T.I. Titanium (by Demolet)I was buying from him performed consistently with the others. This said to me while holding enough cash to buy the most expensive one he sold.He could easily have said, the C&L is vastly superior and I would have paid 18% more.That was good enough for me...

Roadlizard
Old 01-19-2007, 03:30 PM
1fast 99gt
4th Gear Member

My cai goes into the fender and down into the bumper anywone else have one like this?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:33 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: Butters

If you go with a centri supercharger its going to be replaced anyways, I'll pass.
Good move
Old 01-19-2007, 03:36 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

They "seem" useless and are basically useless because the stock intake on our cars isn't bad enough to need an aftermarket. Sure a new filter will give you a little, and a new pipe will give you almost nothing on top of that, but overall the intake on our cars is pretty good from the factory.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:21 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

Just repleace the stock filter with a K&N High Flow and remove the silencer. If you want, you could even modify the airbox to open the filter up like some CAI's.
Thats what I did. I wish I had a digi camera to take a picture of it. I just used a 3' cutting tool and sawed the shell open leaving only the backing to where the clamp holds the filter, and left the little support tabs to screw to the body. The only reason I had to get a FIPK CAI was for the C.A.R.B. E.O. sticker so I could pass Californias stringent "visual" smog inspection.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:29 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

Seems like nowadays most of the CAI's that are on the market are useless except for the JLT cold air. What makes the JLT better than the other CAI's? Are the fender CAI's better than the ones? Has anyone ever dynoed a CAI?
CAIs are only really useful if your car is already pretty fast. It's kind of a paradox, really. Haha.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:31 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RoadLizard

Whatevidence can you supply thatwould indicateJLT is better than the other CAI's? Popularity of a given brand often is a poor indicator of a product's superior performance over a competing brand. I looked at JLT and bought a less costly brandthat does the same thing. Is mine less effective or lower performing than the JLT? Not according to Brent from Brenspeed.... He sells several brands and I asked him point-blank if I would be able to see a difference on paper between the brands he sells (C&L; JLT; AirRaid; Steeda; WMS...). He indicated that the T.I. Titanium (by Demolet)I was buying from him performed consistently with the others. This said to me while holding enough cash to buy the most expensive one he sold.He could easily have said, the C&L is vastly superior and I would have paid 18% more.That was good enough for me...

Roadlizard
well hes lieng to you anys, cold air intakes will offer the same 2 hp increase, weather it be an EBay one, a MAC, a turntable etc

Quick Reply: Why do CAI's seem useless?