4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brake Pads for my 02gt

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:12 PM
02bluegtstang
I ♥ Acer

Default Brake Pads for my 02gt

Which ones are the best?

Also this might be a dumb question but how can you tell if you need new brake pads (based on the thickness left?)....when i got my tires put in they told me I need new pads...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
02bluegtstang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Brake Pads for my 02gt

anyone?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
99lolagt
2nd Gear Member

Do an upgrade of slotted rotors and a set of hawk pads.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:10 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99lolagt

Do an upgrade of slotted rotors and a set of hawk pads.
+1

As far as when you need new pads, you can check the thickness visual, or you will start to hear the brakes squeal when the pads get low. Don't let them squeal for very long if you plan on keeping your stock rotors and having them turned because after awhile the pads will eat grooves into the rotors.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:32 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

As stated before you should look for yourself to check the thickness of the pads. It amazes me how many people are told this by just about every tire/repair shop around just for a sale. These idiots have even tried to tell me and they KNOW I,ve been doing it longer then they have. If you do need new ones I have a full set of Fr/Rr Akebono(one of the best around )full Ceramic's in the parts section or PM me if interested.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:47 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I put new rotors everytime I get new pads! Go with the drilled/slotted. And get a set of ceramic pads or hawk kevlar. The stopping is amazing with drilled/slotted rotors!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Don't change them if you don't need to... you can tell by looking at the distance between the pad and the rotor, there is a back to the actuall pad, the pad material is between the pad and the rotor, you should still have some pad left.... the minimum thickness is about like this ----> ll <-----that is about when to replace them, this is the best I can think of to explain it! If you don't hear any noise then you should be fine! The rear pads will last at least twice as long as the front, and you should'nt need to replace the rotors unless they are to low to turn or warped, and you really dont need to turn them unless they are gouged or warped! Gouged you will be able to see, and warped you would feel shaking when you stop. Otherwise just rouph them up with some low grit sand paper or steel wool. Get a good manual, Haynes, Chiltons, etc. and it will detail the process. You could have a shop do it but then you never know if they do everything, grease slide bolts, ETC.

As to what pads are the best? Either Ford pads... very expensive... or the cheap Auto Zone "OEM" pads... Everyone is impressed by the "ceramic" and the like pads... but they KILL rotors! Stopping may be a bit better, but not a huge amount.
Now if you do want to upgrade rotors/pads you can get nice cross drilled/slotted rotors cheaper than stock on eBay!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:10 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I put new rotors everytime I get new pads!
That's a bit expensive and not needed
Old 01-23-2007, 04:50 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

Would the rotors on a 97 be thick enough to turn if needed? We also have an 00 saturn that needed new rotors when the pads were changed because saturn used cheap, paper thin rotors from the factory. There wasnt enough meat on the rotors to even turn them. I'm hoping that the older mustang has beefier rotors (plus its a cobra, so I'm really thinking it should...)
Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: uofipilot

Would the rotors on a 97 be thick enough to turn if needed?
I'm hoping that the older mustang has beefier rotors (plus its a cobra, so I'm really thinking it should...)
Yea, should not be a problem if it's never been done before

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for my 02gt