4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

O/R Prochamber...whats soo good about it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:39 PM
02bluegtstang
I ♥ Acer

Default O/R Prochamber...whats soo good about it?

Looking for an O/R H-pipe but want to compare regular O/R H and O/R H Prochamber...

I read that it gives the extra hp/tq all through the power band...unlike the regular O/R pipe where it doesnt give the same amount of power after a certain rpm (i believe 3-4k)..

also how does the Prochamber sound...does it sound good with flowmaster 40s?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:48 PM
03fireredstang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: O/R Prochamber...whats soo good about it?

sounds good as hell to me with my flowmaster 40's, from what im told its a little quieter than a regular h-pipe
Old 01-23-2007, 06:51 PM
02bluegtstang
I ♥ Acer

wow nice man....do you have a sound clip?

damm you have pretty much all the mods i wanna do to my car...but I have a 5SPD and you have an AUTO

hey you ever dyno your car? or ever take it to the track?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Its just what it says, its an extra chamber that the exhaust flows thru. The hp and tq is still minimum gains over the O/R H or catted H. You might see a lil, but still very small. It does have a nice sound to it... almost just about any catback I've listened to clips of have sounded very good with it. Mac done a good job on this midpipe. Heres some clips... I know there are a few prochambers in here so just search around for them.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2189116/tm.htm
Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
02bluegtstang
I ♥ Acer

so is it only MAC that makes the Prochamber?....is the chamber restrictive? kinda like a hi-flow cat typa thing? or what is it really....
Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02bluegtstang

so is it only MAC that makes the Prochamber?....is the chamber restrictive? kinda like a hi-flow cat typa thing? or what is it really....
Yes, it's Mac only. The chamber is actually less restrictive than an H pipe and basically the same as the X I'd say. It's not a cat at all, it's just where the pipes meet and you'd either have an H or an X style connection, now you have a chamber so the exhaust doesn't have to take a 90 degree turn in the case of an H, and can equalize better in the case of an X.

And it really does make just about any catback sound good. They say straight through is better with X and chambered is better with H, but all sound pretty good with a Prochamber. I love mine. Glad I chose it over an H pipe, but I'd certainly not want an X.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

THE X VS H VS PROCHAMBER LECTURE:

H pipes and X pipes each have their own shortcomings. In an H pipe, once your exhaust gets moving at a certain velocity, the crossover no longer functions because nothing's forcing the air into it - it just flows straight down the pipe. This leads to a loss in power. In an X, the crossover is forced because the entire pipe merges together at one point, but that point also acts as a bottleneck because the total diameter of the pipe flow is compressed. Again, loss of power (however minimal).

A Prochamber solves both of these problems by forcing the stream to cross over inside a chamber that does not narrow. It's 2.5" all the way through. This is why the biggest gains are seen with a Prochamber. When you're talking bolt-ons it's a negligible difference, but it will give you a pony or two at the wheels over an X or H easily. An off-road Prochamber is the freest flowing midpipe you can buy.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:16 PM
02bluegtstang
I ♥ Acer

nice....Prochamber FTW!!! Thanks guy for all the help

oo btw does it sound louder than a regular O/R H?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

Okay so heres the deal, I sold my 04 GT and have gotten into the newer S197's. I must admit the one and only thing i REALLY miss was the sound of the exhaust on my 04. I had the offroad prochamber with flowmaster 40's and to me it doesnt get any sweeter than that. I've read the performance gains about this setup and I couldnt tell you if its true or not, but that setup is worth the sound all alone!!! Its too bad the newer stangs dont sound like the 04's with that prochamber and flow 40's but since you've got that bodystyle DEFINITELY go with the O/R prochamber. Heres a few sound clips of what to expect!! ENJOY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4tDzCyOIUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MhLChRQW08

Old 01-23-2007, 08:12 PM
03fireredstang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02bluegtstang

wow nice man....do you have a sound clip?

damm you have pretty much all the mods i wanna do to my car...but I have a 5SPD and you have an AUTO

hey you ever dyno your car? or ever take it to the track?
no sound clip from me but u can find them from the thread goldeneagle_10 mentioned....
havent taken the car to the track yet, waiting for spring so it will open back up, and after i get my longtubes its off to the dyno

Quick Reply: O/R Prochamber...whats soo good about it?