4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone who's painted interior trim, please reply

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 02:14 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone who's painted interior trim, please reply

ORIGINAL: meechuacon

Hello everyone, just wanted to know who's painted their interior trim and how they did it as well as if it's worth the effort. What paint they used, sandpaper grit, and if they used a primer? Thanks to all who reply.
I just sent you a PM, meechuacon. For everyone else, if you want to know about how to do this, check this out: https://mustangforums.com/m_950474/tm.htm
Old 01-24-2007, 02:52 AM
FR500GT
3rd Gear Member

TRANCE565...did you say you used to have tan interior as in the tan and brown leather? because that is what i have and that is the only thing i dont like about my car ...tan/brown.....so just wondering how your interior looks as good as it does now?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Js04sILVerBullet
2nd Gear Member

I used some intierior paint made for plastic and vinyle from my local parts store. all i did was use dish soap and a dirt and wax remover with no sanding and mine has held up for a about three years now and looks great.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:42 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

The post by Trickdriller is pretty much right on! 90% of the interiorpaint jobs done by people look like CRAP! Sanding is a MUST! Make it smooth, get all that factory texture off! Keep it clean like he said, away from dust and debris, and clear coat! If you don't clear coat it, it will look like what it is, a home paint job with a can of krylon! Lots of coats, lots of clear! Using an actuall paint gun is best. but Krylon can look just as good if done right!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:54 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jasonmarch

TRANCE565...did you say you used to have tan interior as in the tan and brown leather? because that is what i have and that is the only thing i dont like about my car ...tan/brown.....so just wondering how your interior looks as good as it does now?
my brother used the paint from oreilys, some interior stuff. only problem right now, are like 5 tiny bubbles that you almost cant notice cuz of the texture on the passenger side of the dash. and it's always got a shine to it, no armoral needed.

my brother bought black carpet to replace the brown. tried painting the doors, but ended up replacing those and the center console, as they have the most .... i guess you could say rubbing, done to them. but painting the dash worked just fine. using the paint/primer and all that from O reilys works pretty good. just dont use the carpet paint.

i think he did 2 coats primer, 3 coats paint, 3 coats clear.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:15 AM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

trance565, that is exactly what I want my interior to look like, however I have cloth so it won't look quite as sweet
Old 01-24-2007, 11:22 AM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

Thank you trickdriller, that will help tremendously!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Don't use can spray paint it will look dull and flake off.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:13 PM
2004GTRED
2nd Gear Member

There is no need to sand. You will just mess up the texture. Clean the parts with dishwashing soap or a degreaser using a plastic scour pad. Prime, Paint then clear coat. Make sure you clear coat many coats. This is whats going to protect you paint.I have done this with 5 cars and it had worked out perfect everytime. As far as piant goes there are several manufactures that have plastic paint. just make sure its PLASTIC paint. dont aorry about the brand just get the color you need. Make sure the primer is for plastic. The "Primer" is more of a cleaner/bonding agent. It shoudl be clear and real stinky. As far as the clear coat goes. Krylon makes a super hard clear coat spray. I think it comes in Flat, Satin and Shiny for which ever taste.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Go to http://www.levineautoparts.com/semvinandpla.html

SEM paints are some of the best for plastics and vinyl. They also sell special cleaners and prep sprays. I have restod' cars with this stuff, and if you take your time and CLEAN everything properly, it will look like factory.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Anyone who's painted interior trim, please reply