4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New crank pulley / SFI Fluid damper key hole too small? 99 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 PM
jepostang
1st Gear Member

Default New crank pulley / SFI Fluid damper key hole too small? 99 Mustang GT

I just took off my BBK piggyback crank pulley. I went out and bought a Mark performance SFI approved ONE PIECE crank pulley / damper.

I cant seem to get the pulley to slide on the crank? I compared the key holes on the BBK and the MARCH and the March key hole is smaller.

Should I just file the March key hole and make it a little bigger? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:42 PM
jepostang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: MARCH PERFRMANCE New crank pulley / SFI Fluid damper key hole too small? 99 Mustang GT

hmmmmm.........
Old 01-25-2007, 08:53 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: MARCH PERFRMANCE New crank pulley / SFI Fluid damper key hole too small? 99 Mustang GT

Call march performance.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 PM
jepostang
1st Gear Member

SHould I boil it?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:00 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You can try that. I wouldnt file it. If you file it to much then it will move which will not be good. I'd call March and see what they say.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:33 PM
jepostang
1st Gear Member

It's boiling......Lets see if that works, again this is a fluid SFI approved damper....
Old 01-25-2007, 09:59 PM
jepostang
1st Gear Member

No, boiling didn't work. It worked when I put the BBK pulley on there, but not with this, it seems like the key slot on the crank can't get throught the key hole, its lined up buts thats it.

March Performance is closed and I can't call until tomorrow. I was planning on going to the track on Saturday, but it doesn't look likely. I am so freakin pissed right now!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:31 PM
jepostang
1st Gear Member

ANYBODY?? With Steeda pullies, does it say boil the pulley? Or tap it on with a mallet? WTF!!!

Are Steeda pullies fluid dampers?

NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:43 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

I've had to hone a few dampners on my race motors....But you really need to call march first...andI dont think it should just slide on?Should it?The old one,,didn?t you remove it with a puller?most dampners are pushed on with some help...installer tool or a rubber mallet...But I've had a few ATI's too tight and had to hone..take a break and call them tomorrow....
Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

I have a march fluid dampner and it goes on and off but it takes a good effort to get it on and off

Quick Reply: New crank pulley / SFI Fluid damper key hole too small? 99 Mustang GT