4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:26 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch question!

So another problem with my Mustang. I drive an 03 GT with a full Borla exhaust system, 2" Eibach Sportline lowering springs, and Steeda caster camber plates. I also have 76k miles on it.

Here's the problem.
When I start my car, it makes this squeeling sound like a bad belt, only not as loud. It's very soft, but also very distinct. When I drive it, the sound disappears when I have the clutch in and comes back as soon as I let out. It does not do this idling, only when the car is moving. It's been running rough lately && I've already had a couple opinions. One person thinks I'm losing my main cylinder, someone else thinks my "vacuum belt" is going bad. I quote that bc I have no idea what a vacuum belt is.

I've never had any mechanical problems with my car before. It's always run great. It has high miles && I've always been skeptical about Ford engines, but it's really starting to freak me out bc I cant afford anything major && I DEFINITELY cant afford a new car!

Any thoughts or ideas??
Old 01-28-2007, 01:28 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch question!

Let me clear this up. It stops squeeling when I'm moving and put the clutch in && stops when I let out. It does not do this when I'm idling and put the clutch in .. the squeeling is still there.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:35 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: babysarah

So another problem with my Mustang. I drive an 03 GT with a full Borla exhaust system, 2" Eibach Sportline lowering springs, and Steeda caster camber plates. I also have 76k miles on it.

Here's the problem.
When I start my car, it makes this squeeling sound like a bad belt, only not as loud. It's very soft, but also very distinct. When I drive it, the sound disappears when I have the clutch in and comes back as soon as I let out. It does not do this idling, only when the car is moving. It's been running rough lately && I've already had a couple opinions. One person thinks I'm losing my main cylinder, someone else thinks my "vacuum belt" is going bad. I quote that bc I have no idea what a vacuum belt is.

I've never had any mechanical problems with my car before. It's always run great. It has high miles && I've always been skeptical about Ford engines, but it's really starting to freak me out bc I cant afford anything major && I DEFINITELY cant afford a new car!

Any thoughts or ideas??
There are no such things as a 'main cylinder' or a 'vacuum belt'. Your clutch is mechanical, thus, no hydraulic lines (i.e. imports and LS-series). Your vac booster runs off the main serpentine belt, so you'd hear a squeal (I assume you know what belt squeal souns like). Depending on how hard you run your car, it's possible that your clutch is going (after 67k miules, it wouldn't surprise me). If you can do the work yourself (or with the assistance of some friends), I'd suggest getting a clutch KIT (not just the clutch plate, as you'll have to chase down the bearings and such) for about $200-$250, and replace the whole deal, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, etc. In the meantime, put your car in Neutral, pull the parking brake, push your pedal to the floor a couple times then hold it there for a second. This is the way the Ford 'adjustment' is made (check your owners manual). If the noise goes away, your clutch IS in fact worn, but you still have some wear left. If it doesn't the problem is a bit more urgent. Hope this helps!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:07 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

haha, it helps! im not really familiar with cars so i had no idea that those things didnt exist .. i was just repeating what i was told && clearly, they had no idea! which is why i came here!

the guy who had the car before me, beat the living hell out of it. so i would not doubt a bad clutch.
back to what you were saying about a vac booster && the serpentine belt .. would that maybe have anything to do with the clutch && the squeeling or is this strictly just a clutch problem?

Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

No, your vac booster works with your engine to advance and retard timing under different load conditions. It has nothing to do with the clutch. Your clutch is really simple... from the pedal, a cable (honest-to-god braided steel cable) transmits your input (i.e. pushing the pedal down) to the clutch fork, which engages the clutch. That's it. No strange lines or hoses going to your tranny, and if anyone tells you that your transmission runs on a flux capacitor, you have my full permission to slap them in the face. :lol:
Old 01-28-2007, 02:19 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

haha! i'll remember that!

so is it safe to say that this strictly sounds like a bad clutch problem or could there be other issues that might cause this as well? later today, i'll go down and try the adjustment thing you gave me and see what happens from there.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:22 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

The rough idle, that might be something else (and definitely isn't a clutch), but as far as the squeal from the tranny area, yeah, about all it could be is a clutch.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:28 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

Okay so let's get the clutch part out of the way. This rough idle, is REALLY rough. It shakes the whole car. It's not a rigorous shake && the average person wouldnt know otherwise, but I can tell it's not normal. It's enough that even listening to it, you'd know it wasnt normal. Any thoughts on the idle?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

plugs, dirty injectors... if it's a vibe, it MAY be an imbalance in the clutch/flywheel assembly. That's one of the things that you might want to take it to a dealer, get a diagnostic run... or if you have a tuner, try and read the error codes.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:07 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

When the car is makeing the noise lightly lay your foot on the clutch pedal. If the noise goes away you need a throwout bearing. Ford is bad about the throwout bearings going out. The tranny has to come out to change the throwout bearing so I would suggest changing clutch and all while your at it. As far as the rough idle goes. Sounds like it may be a vacume leak. If you have a check engine light on take it to a shop and have a computer hooked up.

Quick Reply: Clutch question!