4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

turbo vs s/c?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 PM
rip0ff
1st Gear Member

Default turbo vs s/c?

i always thought superchargers were the better way to go.. but then i noticed alot of people that were selling their s/c was to buy a turbo.. for their mustang! why does everyone want to go turbo? is there better power gains... is it healthier for the engine... are they more moddable...? i dont really know someone fill me in.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: turbo vs s/c?

1st step: Do a little research.

Ok, turbochargers ALWAYS will be better than superchargers. End. They dont require the motor to work harder to make them work (ie: no hp loss). Turbos are EXTREMELY expensive (6k minimum for a good kit). They are very hard to tune aswell. Turbo is better because like I said, no hp loss, no hastle of swapping pullies for boost (just a few turns of a **** or clicks of a button), they're more efficient, they're more unique, they're more powerful. Turbos are definately easier to switch out parts. You can change your turbo, your blow off valve, waste gate, intercooler, exhaust manifolds, and more (computer, fuel, etc. whatever needed to get it on the road safely). However the reason they are SO expensive is because the piping is a bitch. Longtubes are a ROUGH job to do, you barely have any space. Now imagine adding more 3 inch piping from those headers. There is virtually no room for piping so a lot of turbo stangs are custom jobs.

If you have the cash then go for it. HP offers a twin turbo kit, Hellion offers a single turbo kit, or hell...make your own if your comfortable. No offense but you seem a bit in over your head for a turbo. If your really interested and wont settle for less, then more power to you.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:03 PM
rip0ff
1st Gear Member

what the hell do you mean in over my head? i didnt know enough on the topic so i posted a poll to get a better understanding on it...
Old 01-28-2007, 03:09 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

The Last Issue of Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine has a Excellent write up on Turbo versus Supercharger! I reccomend hitting the newstands and finding that issue. It taught me a few things I didn't even know.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:09 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

It takes energy to run a supercharger and a turbo runs on energy that is already created
Bottom line turbo>s/c
Old 01-28-2007, 03:14 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

It takes energy to run a supercharger and a turbo runs on energy that is already created
Bottom line turbo>s/c
That may be the case...... But......... I was watching SPEED channel the other day....

Those HIGH end modified cars at the track..... The Blowers were the one taking home the money. Although a few turbos won here and there, it was those BIG, I'm talking those HUGE old school like blowers that stick out from the top of the hood that really took the wins.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:22 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Bottom line turbo>s/c
That may be the case...... But......... I was watching SPEED channel the other day....

Those HIGH end modified cars at the track..... The Blowers were the one taking home the money. Although a few turbos won here and there, it was those BIG, I'm talking those HUGE old school like blowers that stick out from the top of the hood that really took the wins.
Reson was stated before that they are very hard to tune and realy need perfect condition. S/C's are much more leanient. Also turbos need rpm's to get the power band going and that costs a lot of money to make your sohc rev that high! Turbo's need a motor capable of atleast 7,500rpms to be extremely efficient and reliable.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:23 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

ok with the supercharger (roots, twinscreew blowers) you have instant boost. centrifical superchargers make boost after 3,000 rpm i belive. turbos have some sort of lag for the turbo to spool up.

blowers/superchargers run off a belt. that belt makes the engine work harder.

turbos use a waste of power to make power. i.e the exhaust gases that we normaly dont need to make power are just expelled out the back. the turbo uses the exhaust gases to turn the turbine in the turbo. that turning of the turbine causes boost. they are more eficiant and easier to use. but cost more money, more time to tune, and harder to install.

more the less

turbo>>>>>>>>> supercharger
Old 01-28-2007, 03:30 PM
redgt2000
2nd Gear Member

sc run off a belt and have almost no lag make power down lowright away then peter off, a turbo runs off exsaust gas , they take a sec to spool then increase power rapidly.

so what do you want, most superchargers give you killer power in all gears
a turbo will get you up there in the long haul. its all about your application
Old 01-28-2007, 03:32 PM
/\CHRIS/\
2nd Gear Member

What companies do you guys recommend had anyone had any luck with this place?

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/96-04%20Mustang.htm

What are some good turbo companies for the 4.6 mustang?

Quick Reply: turbo vs s/c?