4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Observation over the last 2.5 years.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: Observation over the last 2.5 years.

I drove a '69 Charger Daytona with the 440/6-pack for over 3 years in southern NH and central MA when I was 20-23 (studded snows in NH), and a number of other high-performance RWD cars "up there" over the next 20 years[/align][/align]It can be done, but as Dirty Harry said (the Enforcers IIRC), "A man's got to know his limitations."--same is true for any man/car combo...[/align][/align][/align] [/align][/align]--sorry, it was Magnum Force, see what happens when you get old...[/align]
Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 PM
LaserGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

These cars are becoming more affordable. Parents will buy their kids anything...

But, most of the wrecks are from people not slowing down for the conditions. You should never ever ever ever crash because of the conditions. If you drive accordingly for the conditions - you'll never crash, bottom line.
Exactly! The only real problem with driving a Mustang in the winter is the lack of traction because the car is RWD and has a powerful engine. But, with PROPER SNOW TIRES, and being slow, cautious and giving yourself alot of time/room during turns, braking, etc., you can avert many accidents. It's probably perferable you have a beater, but that's not an option for everybody. I love how so many of the accident threads were "I was driving slow, very normally and all of a sudden my car lost control". Doesn't work that way., you were either:
1.) going too fast
2.) not giving yourself enough time to stop
3.) downshifting to too low of a gear thus causing the car to fish tail/lose control

And I do agree that wayyyy too many kids own these cars. They aren't Z06s or Ferraris, but they are faster than most cars on the road, and are very tail happy. That's a dangerous combination for an inexperienced or immature driver. I'm 27, and I'm glad I never got a Mustang GT at age 16.
+1 Big time on that.

I know what the winters are normally like here in Chicago. Unfortunately I don't have a beater to drive during the winter but I really don't need one since I'm lucky enough to be able totake the train in to work. But if I do have to drive after it's snowed I damn well take my sweet @ss time and make sure my car doesn't get squirrelly. And it doesn't take much for that to happen. And this is no knock on teenagers who own GT's and whatnot, but it's true that with age comes experience.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Good point Laser. I also think too many people equate a "good driver" as one who races well, shifts fast, etc., but in my opinion a good driver is one that can drive safely in bad weather, and make smart decisions on the road, and can use his reflexes to avoid an accident. And, like you said, that comes with experience.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:23 PM
P8ntbala
1st Gear Member

Its no suprise that more power coupled with an inexperienced or young driver could cause problems, but Im only 18 and my friend is the same age and owns an SVT cobra. Right now where I live there has been a decent share of ice and snow, and we have both been fine. Not a ticket or fender-bender for either of us. I consider myself a responsible driver, like anyoneI havemy fun but there is a right time and place. Bottom line is be smart and be safe, and hope you dont end up in a situation where there was nothing you could do to prevent it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:27 PM
LaserGT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Jaybird. But Iunfortunately know about the "unavoidable" accidents too. Twice I had my rear end smacked into while my car was not moving. First time a pick-up backed into my parked car, then on the second go round adipsh*t in a 911 Carrera smacked me as I was sitting in traffic. I got the last laugh on that one though. First the brainiac paid for all my repairs and car rental and it was actually his BOSSES' 911 that he F'ed up. [sm=loser.gif]
Old 01-31-2007, 11:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Very rarely are automobile crashes "accidents"--that's what happens when you thought you had to fart--generally the driver (or one or all of the driver's in multicar smash-ups) fails to maintain control by driving improperly for given conditions, or by driving beyond their or the machine's competencies...[/align][/align]They are never "caused" by weather conditions.[/align]
Old 01-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LaserGT

Thanks Jaybird. But Iunfortunately know about the "unavoidable" accidents too. Twice I had my rear end smacked into while my car was not moving. First time a pick-up backed into my parked car, then on the second go round adipsh*t in a 911 Carrera smacked me as I was sitting in traffic. I got the last laugh on that one though. First the brainiac paid for all my repairs and car rental and it was actually his BOSSES' 911 that he F'ed up. [sm=loser.gif]
Situations like that are fine. You have no control over who hits you. I don't understand these kids that the car "suddenly lost control." I've driven in bad rain and some ice and have NEVER come close to losing it. Hell I have to try decently hard to get this car sideways. It's all driver error. RWD this RWD that I call BS...if the car is sliding get the **** off the gas
Gooman
1st Gear Member

There has been a change in our culture,driving a 71 road runner at 17yrs old which in most cases would roast amustang gt now adays.people arent thinking they are held to account for their f...k ups.But they are.I slid by back in those days but I knew the ol man would come down hard so as a famous man once said "a man has to know his limitations".Just hope that these folks dont get hurt too bad or worse....
stangman94
4th Gear Member

i wouldn't say its teen drivers there's alot of us in the 5.0 section and there never is a topic about us wrecking.
teen/5.0= smart teen/4.6=dumb

i live in michigan and drive every other day in 2 inches of snow on the road i dont even have snow tires just 200 pounds of kitty litter and fertilizer. the key is to drive safe and dont drift unless in an open parking lot
Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

"I knew the ol man would come down hard..."[/align][/align]Yup--I crashed my first car, a '59 Hillman sedan with 4-speeds on the column, 'cause I was driving way too fast on a dirt road; and my very first thought was "my father's gonna'kill me!"[/align][/align][/align]

Quick Reply: Observation over the last 2.5 years.