4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Who's got a custom exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default Who's got a custom exhaust?

I've got slp headers, slp x pipe and dumped bassani mufflers right now. Headers aren't installed yet. I REALLY want to run this set up with an off road h pipe. I thinkthat will sound awesome. Unfortunately slp doesnt make an h pipe. Does anyone know what it would cost (ball park) for a custom shorty h pipe? Ive never had any custom exhaust work done before so I have no idea what it will or should cost.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Who's got a custom exhaust?

probably like 50 bucks for them to cut the X and weld in a custom H
Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Js04sILVerBullet
2nd Gear Member

A local shop from where i'm from said they would charge me around $100 -$125 for a custom h-pipe thats with putting it on the car 2.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Thats not bad at all...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:31 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

A custom exhaust is not buying little parts from a single dealer and throwing them under your car. The X-pipe to H-pipe will be custom, dont get me wrong, but nothing else will be (as far asI know). A"custom" exhaust would be getting parts made for your exact car and how you normally drive it; not just the year/make/model. I have "custom" long tube headers on my car, because they were made for how I drive my car. The tube difference is less then 4 inches between the longest and shortest tube and the flow isnt really restricted. I found3" cats, flowmaster super 40 mufflers x 2, and roush tips out the side. I have 3" pipes running from the header collector to the tips and flanges connecting everything. Now thats more of a "custom" exhaust.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: midnightsnake83

A custom exhaust is not buying little parts from a single dealer and throwing them under your car. The X-pipe to H-pipe will be custom, dont get me wrong, but nothing else will be (as far asI know). A"custom" exhaust would be getting parts made for your exact car and how you normally drive it; not just the year/make/model. I have "custom" long tube headers on my car, because they were made for how I drive my car. The tube difference is less then 4 inches between the longest and shortest tube and the flow isnt really restricted. I found3" cats, flowmaster super 40 mufflers x 2, and roush tips out the side. I have 3" pipes running from the header collector to the tips and flanges connecting everything. Now thats more of a "custom" exhaust.
That doesn't really makes sense to me. What kind of driving do you do that necessitates "custom" headers? Did someone actually weld together piping and make a set of headers for you? The whole 4" inches between the longest and the shortiest tube? I'm confused you want the tube to be "equal length". That's why they are called equal length long tubes.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

That doesn't really makes sense to me. What kind of driving do you do that necessitates "custom" headers? Did someone actually weld together piping and make a set of headers for you? The whole 4" inches between the longest and the shortiest tube? I'm confused you want the tube to be "equal length". That's why they are called equal length long tubes.
I looked at BBK and Hooker headers and all other long tube headers. Not in a catalog but actual headers in my hand. The difference on some of them were like 8"- 12". Yes I had a set of headers welded together for MY Cobra and for the way I drive it. I dont drive it WOT all the time but when I'm late for class, I'll get on it. I'm adding a s/c in about a month so that was also taken into account when they were put together. The difference in tube length for my headers is about 1/8". Most headers are made for, like I said before, year/make/model and thats it; not for how they drive that y/m/m. No other mods are taken into account like turbo or supercharger at different psi levels. If you're still confused go here headersbyed.com/bildbetr.htm dont copy and past just look and type it in or you wont get to the correct page. If you read that page top to bottom, you'll understand what I mean. Many of the header companies claim they have equal length headers but the really don't and their collectors are so short and very restrictive. Just look at a picture of them and you'll see what I mean when I say they're not anywhere near equal length.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 PM
redgt2000
2nd Gear Member

id rather go with a company that spends money on reserch of there product, not a jerry rigged jobber imo but what the hell why not right? might be better than no parts at all
Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

Most people that "impulse buy" are people that dont have the knowledge that they should so they buy what everybody else is getting so they can part of the crowd. I did my homework and found that website. I filled out their 100 question form and mailed it in and got their advise on what parts I should get. Luckily I had friends who had friends that were able to do alot of the work that I couldn't, like the welding. Once all the welding was done, I mapped outhow the 3" would get to the side skirt and where the cats and muff's would go. Once I got it measured, and everything is really close together,I bolted it in place and started my baby up and she never sounded so mean!