4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

messed up my car! electricians help me please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: messed up my car! electricians help me please.

I got ya now, you were using crimp connectors, or whatever they are really called, and didnt have enough wire to put into the connector, you could have installed the tach the same way you put it back together... with the soldering iron. If you ever have a short wire you would like to make longer just solder/splice another peice of wire onto the originall wire.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 PM
therapist
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

I got ya now, you were using crimp connectors, or whatever they are really called, and didnt have enough wire to put into the connector, you could have installed the tach the same way you put it back together... with the soldering iron. If you ever have a short wire you would like to make longer just solder/splice another peice of wire onto the originall wire.
haha. i actually did that when i fixed it today, i didnt really have enough wire to work with so i soldered a 2 inch piece of extra wire to all three so that they could reach where they needed to. and i did realize i could put the tach in by soldering it together, but only after i did it. i think i'm gonna do that tomorrow, but those three wires only hook up the adapter, not the actually tach. the tach has four wires coming out of it, one goes to the adapter i've been hooking up so i got that one. but the other three i dont kno how to hook them up. could u explain how to do these?

1. white wire to a 12V dash lighting
2. red wire to 12V ignition switch(+)
3. black wire goes through grommet in firewall to a good engine ground. dont kno where or what the grommet in firewall is or what it means by good engine ground.
4. this says the 4th goes to the tach terminal, which i'm guessing is the tach adapter i've been wiring?

i'm in way over my head with this wiring stuff but i really appreciate everyone's help.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:52 PM
therapist
1st Gear Member

eh?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:16 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Default Auto meter Tach. installation troubles! HELP!

ORIGINAL: therapist

1. white wire to a 12V dash lighting
2. red wire to 12V ignition switch(+)
3. black wire goes through grommet in firewall to a good engine ground. dont kno where or what the grommet in firewall is or what it means by good engine ground.
4. this says the 4th goes to the tach terminal, which i'm guessing is the tach adapter i've been wiring?

i'm in way over my head with this wiring stuff but i really appreciate everyone's help.

This would be much easier if I could see it with my own eyes! lol...
So basically the one wire from the adapter to the Tach is just that... for the RPM readings from the tranny... that is the 4th wire you mentioned... the white wire is for lighting yourtach up, Im not sure if they want you to splice it into a wire... or put the wire into the fuse pannel, the red wire for the ignition is so when you turn on your car the tach. "turns on", same thing with this do they say to splice it or route it to the fuse pannel?the black wire is your ground... you need to ground that to something, apparently they want you to run that into your engine compartment and connect it to a bare peice of steel, say on the fender well... the "grommet" mentioned in the fire wall is where the rest of your wires go into the engine compartment... basically a hole!
Some one who has installed one of these tach's should be able to help you more! If I were there I could get er' done! But I imagine you live no where near Vegas!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:35 AM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

the solder will hold fine. TAKE IT TO A SHOP!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:44 PM
therapist
1st Gear Member

it doesnt say to splice them or what to do with them. there is just a picture showing each wire pointing at what it needs to connect to. i'm this close to just putting it together the way the wires are and taking it to a shop when i get some money to let them do it. what kinda shop does this kinda work, audio/visual or performance?