4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help on Rev limitors?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help on Rev limitors?????

you do understand by lowering your rev limiter you are putting your car in a higher chance of issues...when you hit the limiter the fuel cuts off...and you are then going lean and could have detonation. You should raise the limiter not lower it.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:41 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

you do understand by lowering your rev limiter you are putting your car in a higher chance of issues...when you hit the limiter the fuel cuts off...and you are then going lean and could have detonation. You should raise the limiter not lower it.
The whole point of a Rev limiter is to LIMIT the rpms incase of a miss shift or an accident. I will never run my car up to 6000rpms before I shift! You don't gain any more power past a certain rpms deepending on the application. So, if I set my limitor at 5800 per say. I'll probably never hit that unless I miss a shift. If I raise it to say 7krpms and I miss a shift power shifting then I have to watch my r's soar to 7grand??? Not this guy. Thnanks for the concern though!
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

The whole point of a Rev limiter is to LIMIT the rpms incase of a miss shift or an accident. I will never run my car up to 6000rpms before I shift! You don't gain any more power past a certain rpms deepending on the application. So, if I set my limitor at 5800 per say. I'll probably never hit that unless I miss a shift. If I raise it to say 7krpms and I miss a shift power shifting then I have to watch my r's soar to 7grand??? Not this guy. Thnanks for the concern though!
Well just because you already hit peak power doesn't exactly mean you should shift right away. I also don't see you hitting peak power at 5,400rpm's with an aftermarket cam. You don't want to set your rev limitor to close to where you shift or you'll probably be hitting it a lot. Mine is set way to close. I shift around 6k and mine is set at like 6,050rpms. Let's say you shift at 5,800 there is nothing wrong with setting the limitor at 6k. Then you won't it it and if you miss a shift it will stop you from reving the thing to the moon.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:54 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I was merely stating examples. I won't know what my peak power is until the dyno. But yes I usually find the peak and shift about 2-300rpms past that depending on the situation! I also plan on setting the rev limiter about 300rpms past the point of shifting. So that means if my car peaks out at 5600 my rev limiter will be set at 6-6150rpms
Old 02-08-2007, 12:31 AM
ant02gt
3rd Gear Member

my math says 5600+300ish = 5900ish...i could be wrong though.

and i dont see the need to lower the rev limiter...
Old 02-08-2007, 12:38 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ant02gt

my math says 5600+300ish = 5900ish...i could be wrong though.

and i dont see the need to lower the rev limiter...
Yes you can add but you obviuosly can't READ!!! I said 200rpms over peak power and then 300rpms over my shift patter which equals 500rpms over peak power!!! smart ***
Old 02-08-2007, 04:14 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

hmm what happend to the days when revs were limited by the driver?I am able to limit my revs on every shift without a tuner, its called a clutch pedal a gas pedal and movement of the shifter
Old 02-08-2007, 04:41 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The fuel cutoff will not cause a lean condition, it kills ALL the fuel, so it simply has no detonation whatsoever. If the fuel cutoff caused detonation to occur I would have a forged shortblock right now

You will not damage the engine on your car (97targa) by reving it to the stock limiter of (I think) 6200 RPM. I have bounced mine off the limiter more times than I can count with 420+ WHP on tap and a blown setup (which makes everything worse).

All of the settings you are talking about can be changed with a handheld tuner like a SCT. There is no need to swap out ingnition parts for this setup, just buy a couple hundred dollar tuner and set the point where you want it.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:09 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

dont need to lower it, it was set at 6k from the factory for a reason, you shift at 5800 rpms, and the 6k limit is to let you rise 200rpm between shifts to get a tad bit mroe of a boost when you put it into gear. seriously, you will never get it abot 6k rpm, cuz that's what it's limited to, 200rpm wont do ****.

and if your reving while shifting, it probably means your powershifting, so you should be looking for new rearend/tranny before anything else.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:14 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

The fuel cutoff will not cause a lean condition, it kills ALL the fuel, so it simply has no detonation whatsoever. If the fuel cutoff caused detonation to occur I would have a forged shortblock right now

You will not damage the engine on your car (97targa) by reving it to the stock limiter of (I think) 6200 RPM. I have bounced mine off the limiter more times than I can count with 420+ WHP on tap and a blown setup (which makes everything worse).

All of the settings you are talking about can be changed with a handheld tuner like a SCT. There is no need to swap out ingnition parts for this setup, just buy a couple hundred dollar tuner and set the point where you want it.
I respectfully disagree. With FI, the computer can shut the fuel off to the injectors much faster than the psi can dissipate in the cylinder. At high rpm levels, a complete shut off of fuel under boost would most definitely result in a extremely high a/f ratio which could potential result inhigh levels of detonation. The "leaning out" issue is definitely less problematic with non-fi engines as the cylinder pressure is not as great as a fi-engine therefore able to counteract the lean situation faster. JMO.

Quick Reply: Need help on Rev limitors?????