4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Key Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Stalion415
1st Gear Member

Default Key Chip

So It seems i have lost the little chip inside of my key... the backing came off (i found it in the driveway) and the chip is no where to be found... when i turn the car on it immidiatly turns off, I was trying to go get it smogged today when i realized this. I just drove it last night! Anyways its a 96, so the dealership said something about not having the codes... Has this happened to annyone? what do you do? I also need a new keyless entry control, because that wasnt included in the car... Let me know what the deal is for getting those, the car wont run as is.. Thanks

Adam
Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Key Chip

how did the chip fall out? mines enbedded in the key itself...[&:]
Old 02-08-2007, 05:46 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

that chip is for the PAT system in the car, u need to take the car to ford and get a new key programmed bonna be about 65-70 bucks, car will just shut off after a few seconds and blink theft on ur dash, unfortuantly if u don't have a spare key your gonna have to get it towed cause ford needs to have the car to program the chip in the key to the PAT system in your car.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Stalion415
1st Gear Member

Well i think i got the spare when i bought it (see my gt thread) beacuse it wont open the trunk byitself which is what the spare is for when you go to the mechanic or something right? anyways so thats the key i had, it started the car fine. It had a slot in the back with a little blue piece of rubber keeping it sealed... I didnt know what it was before so i took it off and looked and the chip was in there, but i put it back in...
Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

They might not have the codes for your car, but they should be able to program you a key with a new code then reflash your PCM to recognize that new code.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Stalion415
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uberstang1

that chip is for the PAT system in the car, u need to take the car to ford and get a new key programmed bonna be about 65-70 bucks, car will just shut off after a few seconds and blink theft on ur dash, unfortuantly if u don't have a spare key your gonna have to get it towed cause ford needs to have the car to program the chip in the key to the PAT system in your car.
Yeah thats exactaly what it did. I guess i have to tow it somewhere (dealership? they said like 200$) as for the keyless can they program a new one of those too?

thanks, this situation sucks...
Old 02-08-2007, 05:48 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

They might not have the codes for your car, but they should be able to program you a key with a new code then reflash your PCM to recognize that new code.
they wont have the codes, car will be needed to be at the dealership to program a new key.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:49 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Yea they should be able to program you a keyless remote as well. I'm a technician at a dealership and have done this before. Its easy, we just grab a laptop and go to work
Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Yeah thats exactaly what it did. I guess i have to tow it somewhere (dealership? they said like 200$) as for the keyless can they program a new one of those too?

thanks, this situation sucks...
Umm its definatly not 200 bucks call another dealership, it should be about 70 bucks. The PAT system is a type of security without that chip the car will just shut off.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uberstang1

they wont have the codes, car will be needed to be at the dealership to program a new key.
Yea obviously I know that, thats why I was telling him they dont have codes but can program a new key. I'm a technician at a Ford dealership here in New Orleans and have done a key prog before thanks

Quick Reply: Key Chip