4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rebuilding bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rebuilding bottom end

ORIGINAL: 96cobra10101

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

LOL.... No your heads are good - just get em worked - and the forged pistons are good but not entirely necessary - Im going to do them to when i forge, if that means anything. Im hoping to do a 500 rwhp blower and 150-200 shot on top of that... but now were gettin into new trannys
New trannys? on 700rwhp? LOL you are talking about a new EVERYTHING.

96 cobra, it would probably be easiest to buy a forged bottom end kit(balanced or unbalanced) get your block bored out a bit(to clean it up). Get the heads ported and polished, etc. You will have to swap to an cobra fuel tank and pumps(or GT stuff). You will need a TKO or T56 tranny, crazy clutch, built rear, etc.......................... I'm sure you know all this tho.

Are you sure you have a forged crank? I didnt know that.
Tranny swap is a must. The crank is forged, but I made swap that out also. I wanted to keep the block because its the teksid one. I have seen where the bore out blocks to 5.0, is that what I have to do also?
You can actually bore and stroke your block out to a 324ci. Its BADASSNESS. Its referred to as a "Big Bore" kit, which actually includes stroking and sleving. Its pretty much the most kick *** thing you can do to a 4.6. You could see 400+rwhp easy N/A! Not to mention what a KB+spray can do. With that kinda power, check out "billet" internals. Stronger than forged steel

Sadly, its pretty expensive, but whats not expensive for these cars? lol
Old 02-11-2007, 11:57 PM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

You can actually bore and stroke your block out to a 324ci. Its BADASSNESS. Its referred to as a "Big Bore" kit, which actually includes stroking and sleving. Its pretty much the most kick *** thing you can do to a 4.6. You could see 400+rwhp easy N/A! Not to mention what a KB+spray can do. With that kinda power, check out "billet" internals. Stronger than forged steel

Very cool, this is the sort of info I am looking for. I just want to build a ***** out sick a$$ car that looks almost stock, but can demolish most everything out there. 400 just is power enough anymore.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 AM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

If I bore my block out to be "big Bore", what sort of head work am I looking at? Should I keep my stock crank because it is forged or go with something different?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 PM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

bump
Old 02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96cobra10101

Very cool, this is the sort of info I am looking for. I just want to build a ***** out sick a$$ car that looks almost stock, but can demolish most everything out there. 400 just is power enough anymore.
The big bore kits is the most ***** to the wall you can go. I would assume that a forged crank is a forged crank.I'm not sure. You sir, are one of few that can take full advantage of the big bore kit, as I am almost certain(correct me if I'm wrong) you can only sleeve an alumnium block. Which you already have. You could get a 324ci forged kit, which may come with a crank, for not much more than a regular kit. The only difference is the length of the rods, and the radius of the pistons. Contact VT, or PM code3gt. The sleving is where it gets expensive.

And yes 400hp isnt that much anymore. I would gander than with a nice CNC job on your heads, cams, and that shortblock, you could see 500+rwhp N/A. Then strap on 10psi from the KB, and theres your 700-800.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

a big bore setup should come with a new crank more than likely... i would reccommend some top end cams, like stage 2's or 3's if you want... and get the heads ported with new valves and springs... maybe switch to the newer style heads, but on your car, with forced induction and the power you want, you should be fine on that set of heads with just a port job... you will need a tko500 and a new rear end if you plan on running DR's or slicks for the track/street. also plan on getting a very nice tune planning on that you will want some juice on top of the blower... with that big bore kit it would be a bad *** car... a 5.4L in a mustang basically.. heh
Old 02-14-2007, 02:47 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

a big bore setup should come with a new crank more than likely... i would reccommend some top end cams, like stage 2's or 3's if you want... and get the heads ported with new valves and springs... maybe switch to the newer style heads, but on your car, with forced induction and the power you want, you should be fine on that set of heads with just a port job... you will need a tko500 and a new rear end if you plan on running DR's or slicks for the track/street. also plan on getting a very nice tune planning on that you will want some juice on top of the blower... with that big bore kit it would be a bad *** car... a 5.4L in a mustang basically.. heh
ITs close to a 5.4, but WAYYY better. The 5.4 is basically a 4.6L stroker. It has the same bore size, which is wayy to small. The big bore does exactly what you think it does. Drastically increases bore size. thats where the gains are from. You wont need to go all out on the engine mods if you are just gonna have a KB on there. Just the stuff that is required to maintain the power.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:48 PM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

Very cool. I wish I had done this from the start. I haven't even started looking at tranny's yet, but I know my stock one would never hold up. The only beefed up part of my drive train is the aluminum drive shaft I installed. I have a diablo chip so tuning is already figured in, just take to the dyno when all is built. Being a non-intercooled setup, 10 lbs of boost is the max I would want to run, plus I want to do a 50 shot. I am guessing a 50 shot on a kb motor is going to be a lot more than 50 hp, maybe more like 100-125?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 PM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

I also have 42 lbs injectors, a 225 lph fuel pump, so I am hoping to just un-bolt all my bolt ons and reuse them.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

When I graduate from college, the shortblock in this car will be sold/transplanted and replaced with a 324ci 4v from VT. I wish I woulda dont that from the start TOO.

The TKO trannys are supposed to be awesome. I'm rounding up funds for one right now. Add in another $800-1000 for built rear, and you'll be ready to roll

Quick Reply: Rebuilding bottom end