4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default Transmission!

Alright, so I should probably know this a little better but I've never had to do anything with my transmission. I knew I would eventually with 80k on my T-45 and being the second owner, so I pretty much planned on it, so now I need a little help and advice from you guys that have more experience.

So here's the background. Recently I've noticed a squeeking sound when my car is running and I'm standing outside of it. When listening for the sound more closely, I determined that it wasn't from any pulleys or pumps or anything, rather it was coming from the back of the engine. I put it off a little bit because squeeks are typically not TOO much to be worried about, however this morning I was thinking about it and realized that there was only one place it could be coming from, the transmission. So I sat down in the car, in neutral, and pushed the clutch in and out, and sure enough, it changed the sound just a little. I also noticed when I was slowing down to stop one time I could hear the noise for a second (with the exhaust I usually can't hear it until it was almost down to idle), and noticed it slowing/quieting down as I slowed down.

So my questions to you guys... First off the obvious, does anyone know what exactly the issue is? I know the throw out bearing is typically the first to go, however I've always heard it described as a whine and less of a squeek (though maybe mine just hasn't gotten to a constant whine yet?)

And second, based on what the problem is, and being a T-45, and the fact that I want to keep this car for quite a while (plans to rebuild the engine with forged internals, and new heads, cams, and intake, and after that, who knows, probably SC), do you think I'm better off just getting a whole new transmission and tossing this T-45 crap? If so what is the best to go for, and finally what are the price comparisons with whatever I'd need to fix vs a whole new transmission.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission!

I couldn't diagnose the problem for you, but I will tell you that a rebuild on your T-45 is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than a new tranny - but the 45 is crap for big numbers. If you're serious about pushing BIG numbers on this car, then pony up the cash and get a Tremec TKO. It'll run you a couple grand but it will easily support all that power without breaking again, like a rebuilt T-45 will.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Well that's the thing, it's all a long term plan to just play with this car a little after I settle down a little more and have another daily driver. I'd like to build it up, and that's the plan right now, but it's probably a couple years out before I put any real power on it, so I don't want to waste money and end up getting rid of it for some reason. That's why I wanted to get some input from you guys to see if you'd suggest just rebuilding the T-45 (and is it possible to beef it up a little?), and if so how much would it cost me to do so, or am going to spend halfway to a better transmission to fix what I have and still have a weak transmission?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

most likely the throw out bearing. mine has been doing it for over a year now and it hasnt been getting louder. I dont take mine apart until next month so i cant tell you what causes it exactly. basicly its a small bearing that rides the imput shaft sitting next to the clutch fork that will need to have the transmission pulled to replace.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:42 PM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

It might be a TOB issue.If squeeking/chirping sound stops whenputting a little bit of pressure on the clutch pedal, it could be the TOB.
Before you assume it is the transmission and spring for a rebuild, I would get the issue diagnosed by a good, reputable transmission shop or your Ford dealer.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:44 PM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

Incubus1275, I see we both had the same thought at the same time. LOL! I just pressed the SEND key and saw your post. [:-]
Old 02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I'll definitely have someone confirm that, that's why I'm asking you guys also though before I go in somewhere. It's a squeek that's from the back of the engine, it doesn't go away when I push the clutch in, but it sounds different. I just don't know how much more from the back of the engine can squeek. There aren't really any external moving parts back there and I don't think I've ever heard of an engine squeeking (unless maybe it had no oil or something, and even then it wouldn't squeek for more than a few seconds). I'm completely open to any suggestions, just trying to get some thoughts from everyone else before I go bring it in.

Also, one other bit of info that may help... it might be affected by the temperature. I didn't really notice this until I started getting colder.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:59 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Anyone else have any ideas or input? I know there are some guys out there that know a lot about this stuff. I guess if I can't get any more feedback during the day I'll bump later when people are home.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

its TOB my brand new one does that so i called spec and they told me to adjust my cable so that the TOB kinda rides on the pressure plate a bit. which i dont know how safe that is but it will quiet it down
Old 02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

I would say most definatley sounds like a TOB.... this is NOT a major problem though! It is nt something you want to go worrying about untill your clutch is shot! Absolutly no point to go fixing it now and DEFINATLEY not a reason to get a new tranny or re-build yours, that would be a waste!

Also... I severely doubt you need to remove the tranny to replace the TOB.... this is a part that normally comes with a good Clutch Kit... I have not replaced a clutch in these cars before, but it would seem crazy to have to remove the tranny to do so! The TOB is usualy replaced along with the clutch, there should be no need to pull the tranny.

Quick Reply: Transmission!