4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:27 PM
yellowgtstang18
4th Gear Member

Default Gauges

Im looking at getting these Gauges but i have a few questions 1st. Do i just take my stock cluster out and just plug this one in and screw it back down..?? And also the redline is almost at 7000rpms will that matter since i have an auto..?? And will my miles still be the same..???http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gauges

I think your miles are saved to the pcm on your car, but I may be wrong.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:11 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

pretty sure if you plug that cluster in to your car it will read 3107 miles or whatever that one says...it is saved on to the cluster...you can just buy the bullitt/mach style overlays here:

ebay store

i know the ones i posted are for a V6 but they are custom made so you can have them made for a GT too...and you can get them white face...i know it won't have the silver trim like that mach cluster but hey...you know it will work unlike the other one
Old 02-12-2007, 05:40 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

my overlays that i just put on have a "redline" of 7k even tho the gt's have a revlimiter at 6k if im not mistaken. when i get on it hard i shift at around 5600rpms anyway so it doesnt matter to me.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:54 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yellowgtstang18

Im looking at getting these Gauges but i have a few questions 1st. Do i just take my stock cluster out and just plug this one in and screw it back down..?? And also the redline is almost at 7000rpms will that matter since i have an auto..?? And will my miles still be the same..???http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...spagenameZWDVW
Gotta love all the people making guesses

Take stock cluster out, unplug it... Put this one in place, plug it in, screw it down, done.

Redline will not matter. I have a 99 cobra cluster in my car, the redline is 6800 instead of 5800... Since my car is a 5-speed I just need to keep it in mind... not that it's an issue because the car runs out of power that high anyway. The rev limiter is still 6250.

Your mileage is saved to your cluster. After you put the Mach 1 cluster in, it will read whatever mileage was on the cluster, in this case, 3107.5 miles. Record your old mileage for insurance/warranty sake before you swap it.

Before installing it... take it with you to a Ford dealership that is open, and bringall the keys for your car (if you have two or three) and$80 with you (or whatever one hour's labor is). Park outside the service depot, swap it, go inside and tell them you need your keys reprorgammed. $80 and 5 minutes later, you'll be set to go. After swapping it, your car will read new PATS info and your keys will no longer work... which is why you need to get them reprogrammed.

Finally, since your car is an 01... where is your defroster button? Is it in the center console by the shifter, or near your headlight ****? If it's near your headlight ****, you'll have issues with your rear defroster. If it's in the center console, you won't need to worry.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:57 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

i knew the mileage was saved on your cluster as i have been looking into getting an engine swap sometime in the near future...which is why i directed him to that other ebay seller that sells the overlays to save him the $80 bucks to have everything reprogrammed by Ford!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:03 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

there is no reason to record mileage, the miles are saved in the computer and board part in the back - that is just a new caseing, easy transfer- just be gentle
Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

that seems like a lil too much trouble for me to be. Would the speedo and stuff be off a lil? i know you cant put a terminator cluster in
Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

there is no reason to record mileage, the miles are saved in the computer and board part in the back - that is just a new caseing, easy transfer- just be gentle
Yeah, that works too... but why not hit a junkyard for a cluster then if you only need the case? A water-damaged one would be just fine because you're not using the electronics if you're keeping the same board.

Edit: Speedo would not be off, it is digital. My Cobra cluster says 160 mph, still reads perfectly accurate. A terminator cluster will work in the car, also... but the boost gauge will be useless.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

why not just buy the overlays that look exactly the same and cost less????

lol

Quick Reply: Gauges