4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need new motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
kendiesel
2nd Gear Member

Default Need new motor

I think i might need a new motor. A mechanic is coming up this weekend to check it out. It sounds like parts r just flying around inside the motor making a loud noise. Just wondering were a good place to get a short block.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:44 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need new motor

Don't go to MBR, I've heard nothing but horror stories!!! VT is reputable, Factory replacement gives you warranty!!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:44 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

heh thats not a good sound, does the car actually run?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:47 PM
kendiesel
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it runs. The noise is horrifying! Its so loud but the engine doesnt jump all over the place like i bent a rod or something.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Don't go to MBR, I've heard nothing but horror stories!!! VT is reputable, Factory replacement gives you warranty!!
VT for the loss (not going into detail, but have many examples)...I would suggest MMR and MMR has alot in stock.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:10 PM
kendiesel
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Miliock

ORIGINAL: 97targa

VT for the loss (not going into detail, but have many examples)...I would suggest MMR and MMR has alot in stock.
Im trying to find mmr on the web and cant find their website
Old 02-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/
Old 02-16-2007, 01:13 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

The only this with buying over internet is if you have any problems you have too take the engine out yourself(your cost) and Pay to ship it back (your cost) and then if they say that the problem isn't theirs...then you have to pay to have a piace of junk shipped back to you(your cost again) by now you could have had a descent engine from the factory. If you aren't looking for mild supercharged or nOS and can't do the engine yourself just go with factory replacement. I bet it's 4k with install and 36kmi warranty! I'm saying that's for the PI engine. MBR or MMR whatever it is stay away! I would rather go to a local engine builder than online bull****. Sounds like one of your skirting's on the piston broke off which is common to promote engine failure. Signs of it are loud noises until the pieces become small enough to work their way into the bearings and then boom!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

I guess it's who you know, but I know of3 diff VT motors that have "died" at powel levels way below what they were built for (each had different issue). Two of them didn't even get to be used before there were issues. I've heard nothing bad from 2 people I know with mmr.

His sig says he's s/c'd so I'm assuming he wants a built shortblock.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 PM
kendiesel
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Miliock

I guess it's who you know, but I know of3 diff VT motors that have "died" at powel levels way below what they were built for (each had different issue). Two of them didn't even get to be used before there were issues. I've heard nothing bad from 2 people I know with mmr.

His sig says he's s/c'd so I'm assuming he wants a built shortblock.
Need a built short block. Does anybody know any places in Jersey

Quick Reply: Need new motor