4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Diablosport Chip Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Valek
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Diablosport Chip Question

What do you have on your stang?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Phirantes
2nd Gear Member

check sig... hehe thats it, and i didn't even put them on.... the owner before me did, anyway, i'm kinda at a hard spot financially because of school so i'm hoping for a really good christmas and a productive (job wise) winter break.... my goal at least before summer of next year is ,pulleys, timing adjuster, plenum and tb (c&l or accufab) 4.10's, bbk o/r hp and a flowmaster catback since i think it's just the mufflers welding in to stock pipes and tips.... and by the end of the summer, hopefully i'll have headers, a vortech and required fuel upgrades.... (hoping to get more scholarships too so i can keep more of my money yay)

oh yeah and i have a k&n fipk i think thats what it's called,
Old 10-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Valek
3rd Gear Member

Do you know any good shops in the area that can and will install LT's.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:28 AM
Phirantes
2nd Gear Member

unfortunatly no, despite my attemps to find one, i have really been dissapointed with the lack of interest of car modding for the area, i guess i'll ask the few guys with real modded mustangs next time i'm at the track, i'm in the same boat you are, i really want ltbs but wanna find out how much ppl around here charge before i try to kill myself and attempt the install them
Old 10-26-2004, 03:09 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WHT00GT

ORIGINAL: rtm

It's nice to be able to change a lot of parameters, but his needs may not require re-flashing the ECU more than twice.

I could see using CRS in applications where tuning is known to be complex and involved.

JMO though. [sm=smiley1.gif]
like 2000gt said, mail order chips are a wast of money.. you never know what you are getting. i had the same problem with the delta chip. my car wouldn't even stay running. i wasted about $300 as well. if you know you are going to do more upgrades that will need to be tuned later on, a dynotuned chip would be the way to go...
like rtm said, this if JMO
No no no no no, I wasted 300 on trying to get it tuned, that was without the chip cost

5xx dollars on total crap, the shop charged me for the bad tune!!! Unforutnaly, I have no other shop within hundreds of miles, so I am forced to go back to them and pay for another tune and their chip.

They were willing to keep trying to get me a tune by diablo programming it (they call diablo, diablo puts it on a site 3 days later) for 200 dollars EACH TIME plus I had to drive 2 hours to get to the shop..... no thanks.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:16 AM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

The guy that I'm talking about will sell you thr Predator with a custom tune ready to load. I have talked to countless others that have tested his tunes on a dyno to monitor A/F ratios, and he is on the mark almost every time. He even says that the tuned supplied by Diablo leaves a lot to be desired.

I have not heard of one "off" tune from him. And if you need something changed, he will send you the re-tune for free.

A lot of Cobra owners use his tunes exclusively with wideband monitoring, and never go to a shop with a dyno.

If you find a good tuner, he can just about hit the specs you want on the first try. I know my tuner did. He said that custom tuning on a dyno was only needed with major modifications to the car such as FI, and other power adders.

It's when you start having to change out fuel delivery components and other associated equipment that "dialing in" is needed. When you are working within the constraints of what the engine's stock equipment will handle, a good tuner can usually hit the sweet spot the first time.

But as I said, this is my opinion. I would have no problem ordering from this guy or the guy that tuned my car if I had mail order as the only option.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:28 AM
yoshis99_cobra
2nd Gear Member

How much do these typically run for? I saw one on ebay going for $275 so far. He has 1.5 days left.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:37 AM
Joe57350

First off, just curious.....why pay 300 bucks for a Predator, when I can pay $500 for a dyno and a burnt chip? Is there something missing here besides the fact that I can keep reprograming for cheaper.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:40 AM
yoshis99_cobra
2nd Gear Member

The only thing I can think of is after doing some more mods that you would want it reprogrammed for best results. I'm definitely not a Predator or Dynotune expert. I hope someone has a better answer than this. Sorry
Old 11-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Diablosport
Former Sponsor

Hey my advise get the predator go to a dyno test and tune at the dyno with the predator if needed get a custom file for the predator . You can even alter the custom file to your needs .The chips are good depending who makes the file but with the predator you get alot more for your money ,you have an advantage over older cars that can't use them
It's up to you, but the predator is the way i would go (if you have any question about it let me know send me an Pm )

Quick Reply: Diablosport Chip Question