4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

springs and wheels questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:16 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default springs and wheels questions

I'm thinking about getting some 03/04 chrome Cobra rims. Is there anything wrong with keeping my 245/45/17's on the new 17x9 rims? Will they fit? Also, recommendations on where to buy these rims from would help. How about americanmuscle.com?

And if I ever got some lowering springs like eibach pro kit or H&R springs would I get any problems? Any spring recommendations? I'm sick of the "4x4 look" lol. I want a medium drop, nothing too low and nothing too high. But a good looking stance. I need information.

Thank you all.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: springs and wheels questions

eh, the tires will look a little bit streched onto the rims.. Perfect size would be 275/40.. and you won't have any problems with a drop.. But I personally would get the 17x9/10.5 combo just because having wide tires in the rear give it a great look..
Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thanks, any comments/help about springs with these wheels too? Will lowering springs mess up other suspension components? Or is it good to lower?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:27 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

I've got FRPP "C" springs on mine and they dropped it to the max of my stock c/c plates.. The guy actually drilled out the pop rivets to get the most out of them... I also ditched the front top spring isolators..
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
devsredgt
2nd Gear Member

if you get springs you need to get new shocks and struts as well. if you go lower than2 you might need to invest in some cc plates.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:32 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

I think I want about a 1.5 inch drop, like what the Eibach pro kit drops. Because I don't want to have to mess around with c/c plates and other components. I have read here I don't need new shocks and springs with a 1.5 inch drop.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:33 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: devsredgt

if you get springs you need to get new shocks and struts as well. if you go lower than2 you might need to invest in some cc plates.
You dont HAVE to get new shocks and struts though it will help the ride quality a lot....... if you go lower than 1.5" you will need c/c plates to be able to prop. adjust within specs......I would not put the tires on the those nice cobra rims, I would save a little bit more to get some nice ones that will look really good on your stang just my .02. Dan
Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sitnlopro99gt

ORIGINAL: devsredgt

You dont HAVE to get new shocks and struts though it will help the ride quality a lot....... if you go lower than 1.5" you will need c/c plates to be able to prop. adjust within specs......I would not put the tires on the those nice cobra rims, I would save a little bit more to get some nice ones that will look really good on your stang just my .02. Dan
wait you mean save up for a different style wheel? Or a new set of tires to go on the wheels?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:37 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

Sorry..I mean the rims look great I just wouldnt scarifice them for the tires off your stock rims..save up for some appropriate tires for that size.....it will look stretched like mentioned above. I would do at least a 275 outback and maybe a 255/265 front....it will be worth the wait/decision. Dan
Old 02-19-2007, 08:38 PM
devsredgt
2nd Gear Member

most guys would recommend new shocks\struts. you dont have to get any thing you dont want to get. its just that it would be a wise decision. you need new s\s to allow for the shorter springs. just my .02.

Quick Reply: springs and wheels questions