4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Goin to look to buy a mustang gt-what should i look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

Default Goin to look to buy a mustang gt-what should i look out for?

hey, im going to go look at a 2004 mustang gt that i want to buy, its black with wiht tan interior, it has 35k miles, i seen pics and it looks to be in excellent condition, he wants 12k for it....i want to know what should i look out for that are common problems with the 2004 mustang gt.....any types of tests i can do with the car, to make sure everything is working right, like with the transmission-clutch or anything else? any certain sounds i should look out for ?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:02 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Goin to look to buy a mustang gt-what should i look out for?

some feedback would help, any recalls for the 2004 or anything?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

theres nothing i can really think of, Just make sure it runs fine, maybe take it to a trusted mechanic for them to check it out. Make sure to point out any flaws to try and work them down on the price
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 PM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

yea i def want to try to get the price down to an even 10k hopefully
Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 PM
gill7784
2nd Gear Member

I would be suspect of a 12k asking price on an 04 with 35k miles. Thats several thousand less than a dealer would offer for a good condition 04 trade-in. Private party KBB is near 18k if I'm not mistaken.

Unless this guy REALLY just wants to get rid of the car, I would wonder what's up with it. Clean title? No wrecks? Have you done a carfax on the vin?

Good luck! Maybe take a few pics of the ride and post it up so we can see before you buy!

Josh
Old 02-22-2007, 08:21 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gill7784

I would be suspect of a 12k asking price on an 04 with 35k miles. Thats several thousand less than a dealer would offer for a good condition 04 trade-in. Private party KBB is near 18k if I'm not mistaken.

Unless this guy REALLY just wants to get rid of the car, I would wonder what's up with it. Clean title? No wrecks? Have you done a carfax on the vin?

Good luck! Maybe take a few pics of the ride and post it up so we can see before you buy!

Josh
+1

5 months ago I paid 18k for my loaded Premium w/ 30,000 miles. Even if its a cloth/van rims/auto/no mach car I could still see it over 15k if its in good shape. Check rear tread against front tread to see if he's been smoking the rear up alot. If you can fit under it check the u-joints out and see if the driveline is loose from clutch drops if its a manual. Drive it around atleast 10 miles and make sure its not a victim of the bad Tremec synchro crunch if a manual. Make sure it tracks straight when you let go of the wheel. A little drift is ok, but if it tries to pull you into the woods forget it. Check the corners of the frame in front and back to see if its been wrecked. DO A CARFAX on it. 12k just seems way to low not to do so, you could be buying a wreck of a car with new body panels and paint.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

what is "the bad tremec synchro crunch"? is that only on 3650 trannys or all?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:30 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

my moneys on it having a salvage title . Definately do a carfax though and if your serious about buying it take it to a body shop and ask if they can see where any work has been done.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CoolAid

ORIGINAL: gill7784

Josh
+1

5 months ago I paid 18k for my loaded Premium w/ 30,000 miles. Even if its a cloth/van rims/auto/no mach car I could still see it over 15k if its in good shape. Check rear tread against front tread to see if he's been smoking the rear up alot. If you can fit under it check the u-joints out and see if the driveline is loose from clutch drops if its a manual. Drive it around atleast 10 miles and make sure its not a victim of the bad Tremec synchro crunch if a manual. Make sure it tracks straight when you let go of the wheel. A little drift is ok, but if it tries to pull you into the woods forget it. Check the corners of the frame in front and back to see if its been wrecked. DO A CARFAX on it. 12k just seems way to low not to do so, you could be buying a wreck of a car with new body panels and paint.
That's how much I paid for my 04... auto, premium, 8k miles, and flawless body... altho when I looked underneath it I realized the frame support underneath the radiator was tweaked and rusting... I was a lil pissed about it.. but hey... it runs smooth so there isn't an issue...

just be sure to give it a good over-look... and trust your gut.. if it doesn't feel right.. it's prolly not... you want to buy a car you automatically trust... you don't want to grow to liking it.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:02 AM
kingofqueenz
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the info, i will def run a carfax, im goin to bring it to a mechanic and have him put it on the lift to check everything out......i think 12k is priced alil lower then it should b, but i dunt think its too too low, because if you think about it, the book value is close to 17k, and a better 2005 used gt is only 2-3k more....

Quick Reply: Goin to look to buy a mustang gt-what should i look out for?