4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

comparison between gt and cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 08:13 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: comparison between gt and cobra

Thats what I'm doing to my 96 GT.
ORIGINAL: 99_gtx

COBRA 36-38,000 GT-25-28,000

-YOUR LOOKIN AT ABOUT 10 G'S DIF.
-YOU CAN DROP A 5.4 W/ A SC FOR LESS
-OR STROKE IT, FORGED INT, A COBRA CRANK, SC IT AND STILL HAVE MONEY.
-LAST, I LOVE SALEEN ROUSH,COBRAS. BUT BITTOM LINE IF YOU WANT BANG FOR BUCK YOUR A FOOL TO BUY ONE UNLESS YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO BUILD A MOTOR
Old 10-28-2004, 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Wings65288

hmm, so could anyone answer whats the difference between a 99-02' cobra and a 03-04'?
no such thing as a USDM 02 Cobra, and the 00 Cobra was the R with the 5.4 triton v8.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:23 AM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

Cobra Advantages (03-04): Lighter aluminum block, Forged internals, upgraded brakes, upgraded suspension, IRS for track racing (bad for strip) better racing seats, supercharger, low compression, DOHC (HUGE UPGRADE)...every mod adds more power vs a SOHC), better intake system (twin blade t/b), 6-speed transmission... Hmmm.... All I can think of right now...
Ford started using a cast iron block in '03 because it's more reliable with the blower and the power it's making. More headroom for mods. All Cobras previously had an aluminum block.

The reason a Cobra engine can withstand more power is not because of the block, it's because of the whole bottom end, including the 6-bolt crank, rods and pistons. The rods and pistons are the weakest point on a GT engine.

ORIGINAL: JDaniel

But what did you pay for the car to begin with. I bought mine for $15500 and for $10,000 more I will make twice the numbers you make and still have paid less for my car.
Maybe horsepower numbers, but as stated previously, you're overlooking all the other goodies a Cobra has stock that a GT doesn't, like the brakes and suspension. Brake swaps are one of the most expensive upgrades on any car when you have disc brakes. If you have 800 hp and a ****ty stock GT suspension and drivetrain, it's not going to mean a damn thing because you're not going to be able to use it effectively, or you're just going to grenade your car.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:30 AM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rtm

You buy a GT or Cobra because of what it is. People also buy it because it's easy to mod. But when you go rebuilding an entire car, the gloves are off.

You could practically take any old beater and make it run if you throw enough money at it.
Imagine a Cobra getting beat by a guy in a GT that says he only has $25k in the car vs. the Cobras $30k.

Then imagine a guy beating the both of them, and he says that he only has $18k in his car. Does it really matter?

Once you sink a certain amount in, I don't think it does.
I like the way you think. I have a grand total of about $2,700 in my '65 Pontiac and making close to the power your Cobra is making on just a mild engine rebuild. Power is easy with a big block. It's all a money game, and part of owning a Cobra is just the prestige of having one. Besides, some people just have the money to be able to buy whatever the hell they want whenever they want. Other people like myself who are more budget-minded because I don't make $200k a year approach things differently. Maybe when I finish school that will change...
Old 10-28-2004, 12:54 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: USAMuscle

The reason a Cobra engine can withstand more power is not because of the block, it's because of the whole bottom end, including the 6-bolt crank
The Cobra has an eight bolt crank... the GT has a six.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:57 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: USAMuscle

Maybe horsepower numbers, but as stated previously, you're overlooking all the other goodies a Cobra has stock that a GT doesn't, like the brakes and suspension. Brake swaps are one of the most expensive upgrades on any car when you have disc brakes. If you have 800 hp and a ****ty stock GT suspension and drivetrain, it's not going to mean a damn thing because you're not going to be able to use it effectively, or you're just going to grenade your car.
Dude... for $10,000 I can have the motor yanked... forged pistons, forged rods and have a blower, fuel pump, and injectors installed WITH a good tune backing it all. Then have the rear end upgraded and a tubular K in the front. I have already priced it all out.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:22 AM
bizarre660
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys. i guess im just second guessin why i didnt just go all the way for the cobra. but i mean if the gt has the potential to put out enough power then i think ill be happy with the gt. i just need to get as much hp as possible. it sucks when a cousin has a ws6 and you have to try to keep up with that. lol
Old 10-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

i'd go with a 03 cobra, more potential imo
Old 10-28-2004, 02:35 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Yeah... if I had it all over to do again I would get the Cobra... but that would be only if I had the money for ins and the car payment. lol
Old 10-28-2004, 04:25 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

you can do that Jdaniel, and ignore your tranny and clutch. a 3650 will hold up but not for long.

look people, an 03/04 cobra is by far the most powerful engine ford has ever produced. you've got guys running 800+ rwhp and running low 9's on the stock block and rotating assembly. 96-01 cobra motors were aluminum engines. USA muscle has made some of the points that i dont think i need to re iterate, but he of course did get the cobra block wrong and the crank. cobras have 8 bolt cranks.

and again, since you people are not reading i'll type it in caps.

A GT BLOCK CANNOT HANDLE THAT KIND OF POWER. THEY SPLIT APART AT 600 HP ON A REGULAR BASIS.

the crank pistons and rods usually go before that. but the casting itself, what you people fail to realize, simply is not built to handle that kind of power. period.

Quick Reply: comparison between gt and cobra