4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First impressions after suspension install

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:14 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default First impressions after suspension install

I finnally got to take the car out on a road that was at least partially dry today and try a few launches. I set the nittos to around 18 PSI. Its about 30-35 degrees outside, and the road was still pretty cold.

Before the install, espcially with cold weather, the car would instantly spin all the way thru first and the top of second (or all the way thru 2nd if I shifted hard) as soon as you went WOT.

Today I finnally got a taste of weight transfer. From a slow roll, the car now hooks up thru all of first and second gear. In fact, no matter what I did it never lost traction in 2nd other than the typical chirp of the tires. I was able to rev it up to around 2000 RPM and slip the clutch out (let out fairly fast and slam the gas to the floor) and the car would not spin, just hooked up and went.

Its not exactly 3500+ RPM clutch dumps, but it is still very cold outside (and on dirty streets) so I only expect it to get better. It really is an amazing change. The car is simply x10 faster from a stop or a 1st gear roll now. Nothing was more frustrating than loosing a race because I would spin thru 1st, shift early into 2nd and bog, and then spin again when the RPM came up.

I can say one thing, if your thinking of getting non adjustable struts/shocks DONT! There is an amazing difference between having it set on the recommended drag race, street ride, and circle track racing settings. When set to the "road race" recommendations the car almost has no body roll,a very harsh ride, and little weight transfer. On drag race settings the nose will go sky high with WOT in the first three gears.

I have the feeling that once we get some good weather its really going to hook up great. It hooks up better now than it has since the supercharger went on (hooks up better in 30 degree weather than 90 degree weather in fact). I have to say thanks to code and everyone else that talked me into spending some cash on the suspension. It was well worth the cost and work .

Edit: The bullitt brake kit was also well worth the expense. For only 400 bucks, the car stops ALOT better than before. Even light braking situations are vastly improved, doesn't take nearly the pedal effort to stop the car now.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:16 PM
yellowgtstang18
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First impressions after suspesion install

What kind of suspension did u do..?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Strange adjustable shocks/struts, upper and lower control arms, fox 4cyl front springs. Also did the bullitt brake upgrade.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Aftermarket axles???
Old 02-26-2007, 03:27 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

You are going to have to do some vids of your launches as weather permits[sm=gears.gif]
Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

how much was the strange adjustable shock/struts? where u get em? how was the install? and how comfortable is the ride? sorry for so many questions but I really am considering suspension to be my next target
Old 02-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

where did u get the bullit brake kit at for 400?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Davojan59

where did u get the bullit brake kit at for 400?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/01bull...onversion.html

449... but with the mustangboards discount it was less than that, only a little over 400. If you shop around there are a few sites that are a little cheaper, but I have used and trust americanmuscle before so I went with them.

Aftermarket axles???
You are going to have to do some vids of your launches as weather permits[sm=gears.gif]
Stock axles, atm I am not running anything more sticky than the 315 nitto drag radials. I will definatly get some vids soon (dammed weather) as it warms up, but at the latest we are supposed to be hitting the strip on the 10th, and the vid cam is definatly going

how much was the strange adjustable shock/struts? where u get em? how was the install? and how comfortable is the ride? sorry for so many questions but I really am considering suspension to be my next target
I got the shocks/struts from www.modularpowerhouse.com The struts are 119.95 each and the struts are 69.95 each. The install on the shocks/struts is EASY. The control arms and springs were a little more difficult, but not really that bad. I did the entire front in around 3-4 hours (with the bullitt kit and bleeding the brakes, and a screwup, put the calipers on the wrong side and had to redo em lol) and the rear in around 5-6, including a full hour waiting on parts from the parts store (kit was missing 2 bolts.

With the adjustables, you can pretty much set the ride like you want it. Honestly, with all four corners at setting 4-5 the car rides just like it did before, you can't tell there is an aftermarket suspension under there until you hit the gas.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

so it pretty much rides the same except has better weight transfer and better traction?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red2k1gt

so it pretty much rides the same except has better weight transfer and better traction?
Yep.

If you turn the settings way up to road race it beats the hell out of you though. Thats the cool part about the adjustables, you can just set them any way you want to.

Quick Reply: First impressions after suspension install