4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Automatic sadness!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default Automatic sadness!

Well after countless posts about which rims/tires to buy and how to tweak my exhaust setup.... I think i have finally came to a decision! I love my car inside and out..its immaculate. BUUT! Its an automatic and i cannot stand it anymore! I miss my standard sooooo bad. I find myself dropping it at ever stoplight and shifting and blah blah and driving an auto is just no fun.... Soo i am trying to trade my 03 GT with mach 1000, 40050miles for a standard... I am currently looking at a black 02 with 19k miles on it and ill keep you guys updated! Anyways... I was wondering how you guys felt about your automatic? Do you despise them as much as me?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:08 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic sadness!

yo man, u have to understand that for street drivin auto sucks like u said, but if ur the type of guy who goes to the track at least 1 time a month than auto is for u. an auto with stall and valve body cant be beat by any similarly setup stick. period.
but yea like u said for the street auto sucks.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:10 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I completely understand where you're coming from. My previous car was an auto and that was one of the main reasons I sold it and bought the stang. The extra power was nice also but I REALLY wanted a standard. They are just so much more fun to drive. You feel like you're part of the car and have a lot more control. If I were you I'd be doing the same exact thing. At least you haven't put a ton of money into mods so you won't be losing much by trading it in.

Hope you find just what you want. Keep us updated.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ih8chevy

yo man, u have to understand that for street drivin auto sucks like u said, but if ur the type of guy who goes to the track at least 1 time a month than auto is for u. an auto with stall and valve body cant be beat by any similarly setup stick. period.
I don't think I buy that. On a all out race build the automatic is king, but I have outran plenty of auto cars with a stall/shift kit and simliar horsepower numbers.

In any case, adam you should try buying a handheld tuner and playing with the shift points and maybe a stall. I think you would be surprised how much better your auto shifts at that point.

Not to mention that the stock transmissions suck. I spent ALOT of money replacing my stick (twice) because I managed to tear them up.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Ya i know what you mean guys. Yes i go to the track and stuff..... but just for fun and i rarely run my car. For me my car is my fun, quick, bada$$ looking streetcar. Im not as concerned so much as you guys about amazing times and such, just an enjoyable ride. And im not doggin on autos at all... im just saying i have now found that auto just isnt for me. I hope i dont lose too much trading it in...[:@]
Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

But i am kinda torn in between the two... I want a manual more than anything but its such a huge risk giveing up a car that i know inside and out and that it has been taken care of. For all i know i could get some 16 year old kids trashed car.... Im talking to this one guy now. 2004 manual competition orange mach 1!! He is talking about an even trade because he is to old to drive the stick and it hurts his shoulder!!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:19 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

I have a '99 GT with an automatic and would have it no other way!
Part of that is 3 back surgeries, a morphine pump embedded in my abdomen feeding my spine 20mgs. of morphine per 24 hours and methadone and dilaudud among many other substances to control the pain and keep me awake.
Other than that you can mod an autpmatic to be fully manual if you wish and actually be quicker than a stick and of course never miss a shift or even a partial miss. www.BC-automotive.com can build a TOUGH R470W if you want and his partner of sorts, dirtydOg can build you a 3800 stall converter that locks in 2nd gear right after the 1=2 shift to drop your et's even more. The typical drop with the 3800 stall and the lock in 2nd is .7 so 13.2x's are the norm with 3.73's or 4.10's.
I would not want a stang that was not a drop top either but infortunatly the Mach 1 came with an auto but no drop and the Cobra came with a drop but no auto so the '99 is it and maybe someday a KB SC and the best of both worlds. The Jan. issue of MM&FF has a Bullit that makes 600+whp and the owner got tired of the stiff clutch as it is a street car so he had the guys I mentioned switch his stick out for an automatic. 11.17 and several more low 11 sec runs which the artice said were unobtainable before and this was before the bugs were worked out and the stall raised from the 3800 he had for that exercise. He is in the 10's and mid 120's by now. Much happier also.
Get a J-mod or shift kit and a higher stall converter and it will put the smile back on your face. Get the 3800 stall, 10" converter Alan(dirtydOg) has to offer. Check out www.tccoa.com as these guys are T-Bird guys which are mostly auto's and see what they are doing, low 12's with T-birds and NO POWER ADDERS! Mark
Old 03-02-2007, 12:22 AM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

You can build an automatic anyway you want, but when it comes down to it the stick will be faster with a perfect driver, The reasons people stall autos is for consistency, and it allows the auto to launch like a stick.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:30 AM
_UnLiMiTeD_
1st Gear Member

so the 99 cobras came with an auto?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

You can build an automatic anyway you want, but when it comes down to it the stick will be faster with a perfect driver, The reasons people stall autos is for consistency, and it allows the auto to launch like a stick.
Anything under about high/mid 11s and a automatic will not only be more consistant but faster as well. Once you start making big horsepower the small additional amount you loose via drivetrain loss is more than made up for by the speed of the auto.

no human being can possibly shift as fast or as hard as a properly built automatic. I have been in a few automatic cars that would simply knock your socks off so far as shifting, slamming you back in the seat every time. Set it up properly and you will definatly see the times fall (with a truely fast car).

I would agree though that anything slower than high 11s and the stick is faster. You simply put more down to the ground and they usually have a more agressive 1st/2nd gear.

Quick Reply: Automatic sadness!