4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just finished porting my intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default Just finished porting my intake manifold

I bought this Intake manifold on ebay for $187 shipped only because it came with all the gaskets and alternator mount! It is a Dorman Non-PI manifold. Check the pics out and see how crappy their mold is around the runner ends! I decided to use my dremel and port it out. I figured it's better to port a non-pi manifold than deal with RTV sealant and cutting up a PI gasket to use the PI manifold.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35689/F6C3CA30B9434B24AC2AA78878A7A15A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/35689/6C923F4F245C475E92ED8D31110128E6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Just finished porting my intake manifold

Wow, they did a poor job allright. [sm=smiley21.gif]I`m surprised that passed inspection. Turned outgood, you did a nice job correcting it. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 03-02-2007, 05:35 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I bought this Intake manifold on ebay for $187 shipped only because it came with all the gaskets and alternator mount! It is a Dorman Non-PI manifold. Check the pics out and see how crappy their mold is around the runner ends! I decided to use my dremel and port it out. I figured it's better to port a non-pi manifold than deal with RTV sealant and cutting up a PI gasket to use the PI manifold.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35689/F6C3CA30B9434B24AC2AA78878A7A15A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/35689/6C923F4F245C475E92ED8D31110128E6.jpg[/IMG]
Gonna take a wild guess here and say a PI setup is still going to make alot more power.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:42 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I'm gonna take a stab at this and say any intake can push through only so much air into the heads. Meaning the head ports are only so big to where unless you have forced induction will only take in as much air as the hole is! A PI intake is grand but I don't believe it gives 10 or 15hp like everyone claims! I was merely showing everyone how poor Dormans mold is and what I did to fix it. This is still only as big as the stock Ford intake I took off. Actually the Ford intake looks like it can be ported larger than this one since it's unported and is the exact size as this!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:46 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Sorry for the thread jack, but you said something about an alternator bracket. I'm doing a PI swap soon and I'm using Windsor heads. Do I need to get a new bracket for my alternator of coil packs or will they just bolt right up?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:53 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

You will need a diff bracket for your alternator or if not just run without one(wouldn't reccomend)! I have the stock bracket that came with this kit and will not be using it since I upgraded to a 6g 200amp alternator. The manifold mounts are the same on all alum crossovers. I can sell it to you. As far as the coil packs, you will have to find a windsor timing cover that accepts coil packs, if not you'll have to relocate them(pain in the U-know what) You need to get a windsor timing cover as the bolt holes and threads are a little larger where it bolts to the heads.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:53 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I'm gonna take a stab at this and say any intake can push through only so much air into the heads. Meaning the head ports are only so big to where unless you have forced induction will only take in as much air as the hole is! A PI intake is grand but I don't believe it gives 10 or 15hp like everyone claims! I was merely showing everyone how poor Dormans mold is and what I did to fix it. This is still only as big as the stock Ford intake I took off. Actually the Ford intake looks like it can be ported larger than this one since it's unported and is the exact size as this!

according to quite a few forum members that have been there and done that, the PI intake is worth quite a bit. I know at least a few are claiming they can make as much as a PI car with just the PI intake, PI cams, and a aftermarket tune.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

it is more the runner design rather than the port size that makes the power
Old 03-02-2007, 06:07 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Don't believe it not even for a second. Yes they may have the same power but not without headers, exhaust intake, pullies and other minor bolt-ons! You need heads to make the real power gains! Look on the pushrod motors where bolting just a set of heads with the stock intake gains up to 60hp, but bolt on just the manifold only gets up to 15-20 with the upper plenum which is like putting on an accufab!

according to quite a few forum members that have been there and done that, the PI intake is worth quite a bit. I know at least a few are claiming they can make as much as a PI car with just the PI intake, PI cams, and a aftermarket tune.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Don't believe it not even for a second. Yes they may have the same power but not without headers, exhaust intake, pullies and other minor bolt-ons! You need heads to make the real power gains! Look on the pushrod motors where bolting just a set of heads with the stock intake gains up to 60hp, but bolt on just the manifold only gets up to 15-20 with the upper plenum which is like putting on an accufab!

HOW DID MY STATEMENT GET ABOVE THE ONE JUST BELOW THIS LINE??
I WAS COMMENTING ON THE STATEMENT BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Just finished porting my intake manifold