4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

i think i broke my car (update)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 10:34 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: i think i broke my car

good advice +
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
jitt
1st Gear Member

i totally didn't even realize if he even drives an auto!...ha ha ha ....i've been drinkin'[sm=wootwoot.gif]
Old 03-03-2007, 11:09 PM
ant02gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jitt

i totally didn't even realize if he even drives an auto!...ha ha ha ....i've been drinkin'[sm=wootwoot.gif]
You havn't been drinking that much because i dont drive an automatic.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:54 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

ORIGINAL: jitt

oooookaaaaayyyyyy.......so...ant,i used to repair trannies at aamco and all i can think of is sometimes there is a half moon piece of sheet metal that covers the lower half of the torque converter on some bell housings...is prone to warpage from heat and stress especially if your trans and motor mounts are really worn or broken,any of these can make that piece "touch" the torque converter under a load and make a high pitched click sound,like you said only when on the gas.....try doing this....put in "D" and lightly power brake it only to get the motor to bind a little and see if it makes that noise only when you put it under a load...try it also in "R"...if when you bind up slightly,remember your not try to do a burnout just put it under a load with the brake applied....if you hear or feel a clunk or thud when you let off that means you got a broken mount somewhere....hope this helps.
I didn't know they put torque converters in manuals. I guess I'm behind on the times. Gotta love Aamco techs.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:08 PM
SENECA

Damn,you guys are hardcore.[X(]
Old 03-04-2007, 02:30 PM
IROLLSALEEN
2nd Gear Member

Thats some funny sh*t, I'm gonna say through out bearing.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:05 PM
02gtsandstorm

i agree with through out bearing as well i dont know what much but ive been around a few tranny shops and lol taking out a few of my own so yea sounds like through out and ripper im with yea there im 6 foot and 280 lol and a soon to be universty football player andu need help u call me
Old 03-04-2007, 03:21 PM
lVlustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

Why can't people use better grammer? Learn to type. It drives me crazy!!!

And I drive my car hardat times. It's my daily driver and I don't want to get stuck without a car for a week while I'm locating parts and fixing it. There's a time and place to "drive it like you stole it."
O NO!!!! GRAMMAR POLICE!!!! PUT IT IN NEUTRAL SO THE COPS DON'T HEAR THAT O/R PIPE!

Before you try to be a dick, and act sophisticated....... Why don't you fix your own errors. I hate people that correct others on forums, so here is some of your own medicine.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:23 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

exhaust leak? is it like a ticking? does it get louder and you get on the gas more or is it only at 2100rpm?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:46 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

I'll bet its the TOB as well. Mine started as a ticking and only got worse and worse.. and you couldnt hear it over a certin RPM, mostly because the exhaust just overpowered it.

Ford has major issues with the TOB's from the factory. A LOT of people had to have them replaced under warranty. I think they may have even had a TSB on it, if you felt like looking it up. Its a very common issue... its going to be kind of expensive ot have it repaired.. might as well get a whole new clutch since the labor cost will be the same either way if you cant do it yourself....

And if it is your throw out bearing, you can drive it like that for quite a while... it wont actualy hurt anything as long as its just in the ticking stage.. if it starts squeeling, you know its about to completely go.

Quick Reply: i think i broke my car (update)