4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

odd smell and some ticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Default odd smell and some ticking

I don't think the two issues are associated with each other but I figured I'd make one thread instead of two.
I installed my new exhaust about two weeks ago and since then I've put about 600 miles on the car. Now I know it's normal for the new exhaust to smell a bit for a few days or so, but it continues to stink. The smell was really bad the first few days and it has become less noticeable, I only smell it when I come to a stop and only after being into the high rpms. Its the same stench as when I first installed the exhaust but not nearly as bad but I figured after 600 miles it would have gone away.
Next issue is since I bought the car in april it has a ticking coming from under the hood on the drivers side. It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak to me and it sounds like it's on the drivers side of the motor. I can usually hear it while idling and I only hear it cruising when I drive by a wall or something. It does tick faster as the rpm's increase. I took it the dealership a few weeks ago and the tech said he didn't hear any ticking or anything else for that matter but I certainly can.
sorry for the long post, but thanks for any input.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: odd smell and some ticking

thats cuz your car runs rich like all factory tunes, it will smell, I bet people behind you see some thick exhaust as well.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 PM
NXgt
2nd Gear Member

Man I had the exact same problem. I hope it's not the case for you, but it turned out to be a spun rod bearing. I drove it around a couple of days because I thouht I had a loose valve or somthing in the top end.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

bump
Old 07-23-2007, 08:24 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman5089

I don't think the two issues are associated with each other but I figured I'd make one thread instead of two.
I installed my new exhaust about two weeks ago and since then I've put about 600 miles on the car. Now I know it's normal for the new exhaust to smell a bit for a few days or so, but it continues to stink. The smell was really bad the first few days and it has become less noticeable, I only smell it when I come to a stop and only after being into the high rpms. Its the same stench as when I first installed the exhaust but not nearly as bad but I figured after 600 miles it would have gone away.
Next issue is since I bought the car in april it has a ticking coming from under the hood on the drivers side. It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak to me and it sounds like it's on the drivers side of the motor. I can usually hear it while idling and I only hear it cruising when I drive by a wall or something. It does tick faster as the rpm's increase. I took it the dealership a few weeks ago and the tech said he didn't hear any ticking or anything else for that matter but I certainly can.
sorry for the long post, but thanks for any input.
Try and get a few foot section of an old hose or something and poke about the engine while its running and see if you can locate the tick... Maybe its nothing...

When I did my intake we noticed my injector tips were cracking or gone and I replaced all the injectors... Anyway one of the new ones ticks like hell when its cold...