4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cold air intake...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
aceman5405
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cold air intake...

true, especially if you have a K&N!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 PM
BullittCruzin01
1st Gear Member

that RAI kit does not look like it will fit my Bullitt, the tb looks different indeed...any ideas?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_2826375/tm.htm

Ram air will need more servicing. Any time you increase the quantity of air, you increase the quantity of crap your filter has to deal with.

As for water, getting a good filter (cotton or foam) wet isn't a problem. The filter will dry out and continue to work. A paper filter is quickly destroyed by moisture.

Unless you're fording deep water, you don't have much to worry about concerning actually drowning/hydro-locking the engine. I keep my ram air unsealed most of the time, just in case a street is a little deep with water (and to reduce how often I clean everything out). If I want a boost, I'll seal it back up. And, YES, there is a significant difference between sealed and unsealed.
ORIGINAL: TOOT

You shouldn't have to service a ram air intake no more or less than a in fender style intake.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Is the JLT fenderwell the most common one? I think ima go with that.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 PM
CommonSense

Sorry for intruding but I might as well ask here.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/in...products_id=79

^ Apparently problems can occur when installing the JLT CAI to certain engines in certain models. Anyone have any idea which Mustang models would have this problem?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:05 AM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Ram air will need more servicing. Any time you increase the quantity of air, you increase the quantity of crap your filter has to deal with.

As for water, getting a good filter (cotton or foam) wet isn't a problem. The filter will dry out and continue to work. A paper filter is quickly destroyed by moisture.

Unless you're fording deep water, you don't have much to worry about concerning actually drowning/hydro-locking the engine. I keep my ram air unsealed most of the time, just in case a street is a little deep with water (and to reduce how often I clean everything out). If I want a boost, I'll seal it back up. And, YES, there is a significant difference between sealed and unsealed.

You shouldn't have to service a ram air intake no more or less than a in fender style intake.
If your sealing and unsealing that would be the "true cold air kit", my ram air has the heat shield. I still say that one shouldn't need servicing sooner than the other it shouldn't matter whether it just sits in the eng. bay (ram air) or in the fender well (true cold air).
Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

get the RAI.... save yourself a couple of bucks, and it's easier to service compared to the fenderwell.. and you will net the same gains..
Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Can someone please explain without opinions how a ram air intake with or without a heat sheild nets the same gains sucking up engine bay heat???? That statement is very opinionated and needs to be addressed. I know personally someone whohad a FIPK K&N and switched to a JLT CAI, and the difference was noticable. Either way, it takes about 30 minutes to install the JLT CAI and I found no hassles with it. As far as water, I mainly live in the desert. But for others, driving on wet roads, not a problem. Driving at a high rate of speed through mud puddles is what get's you in trouble.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:00 AM
tool fan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BullittCruzin01

that RAI kit does not look like it will fit my Bullitt, the tb looks different indeed...any ideas?
American Muscle has a JLT made specifically for the Bullitt
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

If your sealing and unsealing that would be the "true cold air kit", my ram air has the heat shield. I still say that one shouldn't need servicing sooner than the other it shouldn't matter whether it just sits in the eng. bay (ram air) or in the fender well (true cold air).
Factory air box. It's a March Ram Air system. The filter element is not open to the engine bay.

Also, it looks as though you didn't click the link. 3500 miles and more dirt than you'll ever want to see in a filter. When you open up the area you take in air, you will also be taking in more dirt. The fender well is fairly protected...the front of the car isn't.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake...