4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Wanna pull my spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: Wanna pull my spoiler.

ORIGINAL: jsmarsh25

off topic of plugging wholes, but does removing the spoiler hurt performance at all? i mean like the downwind on the *** end for traction? cuz i've been thinking about removing mine, but don't want to if the spoilers actually serve a purpose.....
[/align][/align]What we are all referring to as a "spoiler" is really a wing. Spoilers are devices that promote flow separation and "spoil" lift, not create it. On airplanes they are flush with the wings 'til commanded to pop-up and purposely cause turbulence to reduce lift--our front chin thing iscloser to being a spoiler.[/align][/align]However with regard to removing the wing on a late model Mustang, I doubt very much that the effect would be measurable much less noticable. A wing needs to be mounted in an otherwise uninterrupted airflow so that laminar flow over its surfaces can create lift (negative lift for our purposes), and although there may be some non-turbulent flowjust abovethe rear edge of the trunk lid where the wing lives (which I seriously doubt) I guaranteeit's not enough for it to really do anything but look cool.[/align][/align]I.e. it's eye-candy, 100%--not badly designed eye-candy, however its mounting location makes it just decoration...[/align] [/align][/align][/align]P.S. [/align]Tape some 6" pieces of yarn to the upper and lower surfaces, if they lay out nice and straight fore and aft then you've got laminar flow and potential for lift (again, negative lift for us). However if they flutter about every which-way then the wing is in turbulent air and doing nothing but causing drag.[/align]
Old 03-06-2007, 09:37 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: redass02gt

if you really want some downforce, prop your trunk open halfway.

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 03-06-2007, 10:04 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

The photos have convinced me, mine's coming off this weekend. The Ace hardware here has black nylon, and chrome plugs--the chrome will probably be quite "blingy", however sometimes when you've got something that isn't quite right you are better off to emphasize it rather than try to hide it...[/align] [/align]
Do you have an example of this? [8D]

Don't go chrome plugs...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 PM
6charger8
2nd Gear Member

I was quoted almost 1,000 to have the holes filled and painted. Looking for a decklid without holes (salvage yards) and then am going to have it painted. Much cheaper solution
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: 6charger8

I was quoted almost 1,000 to have the holes filled and painted. Looking for a decklid without holes (salvage yards) and then am going to have it painted. Much cheaper solution
Find another shop
Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

The photos have convinced me, mine's coming off this weekend. The Ace hardware here has black nylon, and chrome plugs--the chrome will probably be quite "blingy", however sometimes when you've got something that isn't quite right you are better off to emphasize it rather than try to hide it...[/align][/align]
Do you have an example of this? [8D]

Don't go chrome plugs...
[/align][/align]Not exactly, however this illustrates the concept...[/align][/align][/align][/align]A common problem with the NA series (1990-1997, give 'em a break they're 10 ,to 17 years old) Miatas is a cracked dash board, typically in one of two places next top the gauge pod, or on the other side as did mine. Many solutionshave been proposed from filling it with glass and recovering the dash to yanking the whole thing and getting a new dash (1-2 days labor and $250 to $350).I've also seen some real abortions where it was just filled and painted, and cracked, and filled and painted again...[/align][/align]So, being cheap I made a sheet aluminum form.covered it with vinyl "leatherette", stuck it to the dask with 3M tape so the old and brittle dash could still "work", and made it look like it was supposed to be there. Most people didn't even notice it, and even many hard-core Miata enthusiasts were just perplexed as to why theirs wasn't like that...[/align][/align]I'm with you on the chrome plugs, I was just "talking" out loud, examining all the possiblities...[/align]