4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Advice on Ebay headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:41 PM
TC713
1st Gear Member

Default Advice on Ebay headlights

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...mZ290088779321

Anyone had experience with these? Thats about the cheapest i've found them.....$79 is the norm. I think i'm most worried about them fogging.
What do you think?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Red99Vert

Default RE: Advice on Ebay headlights

I bought a pair last summer. They haven't fogged on me yet but they are impossible to aim properly, they have a horible beam pattern, they don't fit like the OE headlights, the rubber moulding on the top and sides dry out and fall off the headlight, etc. You're better off going to www.performancepartsinc.com and ordering an OEM set from there for $169. It costs more, but they are OEM Ford parts.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 PM
TC713
1st Gear Member

Good info thanks.

Is that a reputable site? I would definitely pay a little more and have the piece of mind to know they will last. Plus, I can sell my old ones for $50-60....from what i've seen.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:32 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I bought a similar Asian clone set from Blue Oval Industries (who I would recommend on a dare, the guy that runs it is an arrogantbutt-head), however after I reamed out int ID of the lamp retainers with a machinist's scraper so they would fit properly they are pretty good. The supplied lamps were crap, I tossed them and installed Sylvania Xtravision bulbs.[/align][/align]I've had no aiming problems other than that youneed toaim them quite a bit higher than recommended by most sources to make things right (and still not upset oncoming drivers)--that actually have a pretty good pattern for "aerodynamic" reflectors...[/align]
Old 03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
aceman5405
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

I bought a similar Asian clone set from Blue Oval Industries (who I would recommend on a dare, the guy that runs it is an arrogantbutt-head), however after I reamed out int ID of the lamp retainers with a machinist's scraper so they would fit properly they are pretty good. The supplied lamps were crap, I tossed them and installed Sylvania Xtravision bulbs.[/align][/align]I've had no aiming problems other than that youneed toaim them quite a bit higher than recommended by most sources to make things right (and still not upset oncoming drivers)--that actually have a pretty good pattern for "aerodynamic" reflectors...[/align]
I just bought a set of smoked 01-04 stock headlights from Blue Oval. The fit on the passenger side was super tight, had to work pretty hard to get it to fit. The driver side is a little off, the top of the molding on the headlight doesn't quite meet the fender in some parts. You have to get right on top of it to notice this. I'm just being **** about it. Overall for the money I would say they were a good deal.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That's interesting, I got the smoked set too and the passenger side was also a tight fit--it would seem to be a problem with their molds. Did you have any occasion to talk to the fellow at Blue Oval Ind? I called to mention (that's all, "mention") the poor fit of the lamp retainers and got a earful that would make a sailor blush--the guy is an insufferable, foul mouthed dolt, God help you if you have a real problem... [/align][/align]PS: I need to make it clear that I am talking about Blue Oval Industries, NOT Blue Oval Chips in Jacksonville Florida--Lonnie Doll that run Blue Oval Chips is a former SVO team member who knows Fords inside and out, and then some. He is also a stand-up guy that takes 100% pride in his work, your problems are his problems 'til they are fixed![/align]
Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 AM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

I thought about buying those on Ebay but thought better about it. I bought some for my old Tbird and was very disappointed with the fit and quality. I decided to go with OE Ford smoked lenses. I know those will fit properly.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:35 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I would say tyou definately want to get descent headlights even if it cost a pretty penny! There are a lot of them that you can't run HID bulbs in them because the insides will flake??? I would not buy something just because of the high price tag either, there is a lot of mark up in that stuff! Pick up a FF&MM magazine and there are usually a few places in there that have quality pieces! The one's I bought from ebay had the CHINA sticker on the outside! The rubber surrounds were glued on crooked. I paid $130 NEVER,NEVER again!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
aceman5405
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

That's interesting, I got the smoked set too and the passenger side was also a tight fit--it would seem to be a problem with their molds. Did you have any occasion to talk to the fellow at Blue Oval Ind? I called to mention (that's all, "mention") the poor fit of the lamp retainers and got a earful that would make a sailor blush--the guy is an insufferable, foul mouthed dolt, God help you if you have a real problem... [/align][/align]PS: I need to make it clear that I am talking about Blue Oval Industries, NOT Blue Oval Chips in Jacksonville Florida--Lonnie Doll that run Blue Oval Chips is a former SVO team member who knows Fords inside and out, and then some. He is also a stand-up guy that takes 100% pride in his work, your problems are his problems 'til they are fixed![/align]
No I have not talked to Blue Oval Industries about it yet. Sounds like they are not very receptive to comments about quality control. I figure I will take a look this weekend and try to make the one light fit a little tighter, a little custom fab work .
Old 03-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

I bought mine from headlightwholesale on Ebay. No problems yet and they fit nice.

Quick Reply: Advice on Ebay headlights