4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Automatic Terminators?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic Terminators?

ORIGINAL: jacrockett

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

Sssang, There is nothing wrong with an automatic, I just feel that a sports car should be manual, they are MUCH more fun to drive IMO. Nothing like having complete control of the car and banging away at the gears on a long stretch of road while chirping the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts!
You don't need a clutch to spin the tires on the 1-2 ans 2-3 shifts At WOT my third gear hits just above 70 mph, an I spin 'em big time... even with fairly sticky tires (275/40R17 Toyo Proxes T1-S)
Yeah but you got GOBS of power too man., with that Cobra engine. Question is, could you chirp the 2-3 shift when your car was stock w/ auto tranny?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 PM
ZAXJAX
3rd Gear Member

It does take a lot of practice to launch but it's not bad. You just have to learn how to drive.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 PM
ZAXJAX
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jacrockett

Sssang, There is nothing wrong with an automatic, I just feel that a sports car should be manual, they are MUCH more fun to drive IMO. Nothing like having complete control of the car and banging away at the gears on a long stretch of road while chirping the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts!
You don't need a clutch to spin the tires on the 1-2 ans 2-3 shifts At WOT my third gear hits just above 70 mph, an I spin 'em big time... even with fairly sticky tires (275/40R17 Toyo Proxes T1-S)
I can see why, just by your mods. How do you like you Toyo's?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:44 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

I won't even bother with "stock GT" comments.

As for the Toyo tires, I love them so far.They grip very well, and have a wide tread pattern (all 275's have the same "section" width, but not necessarily the same "tread" width). I haven't driven on wet road yet, but they are supposed to be a good wet/dry tire. If they last >10k miles, I'll probably get them again.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 PM
ZAXJAX
3rd Gear Member

I have Bfg's now and looking at the Nitto's and Toyo's!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:40 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Not that I'd ever want one that was automatic, but I saw a black '03 convertible cruising around today and it was an auto. Do they even make Terminators with an automatic transmission?
Yep.
It's becoming popular to swap the auto into them.
One of the Mustang Magazines recently did an article on such as swap.

Even the 05+ guys are unloading their auto trannys for the 4r70ws because they can handle the power better.
Besides, who wants an auto without a dipstick

As for spinning the wheels, the first time I floored it after pulling out onto a highway from a Burger King and discovering the cars coming up my backside were moving a lot faster than they looked, I was suprised when it chirped going into second, the car fishtailed and then it chirped going into third, although it stayed straight that time.

Scared the crap out of me......
But now I know

As for manual vs auto, I live in the burbs' but even still a manual would be a royal PITA.
When I think of a 'sports car' and a manual, it's something like a MG or Fiat or something.

I love the manual, but for practicality, (ie:my wife) the auto is the ticket [8D]

Also, it seems like the manual guys have so many more problems than the auto guys.
Cheaper to fix though I would guess.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZAXJAX

Ahh now I wish I took a picture. It wasn't just a GT with a Cobra front, it had everything Cobra down to the seats, wheels, bumper, exhuast, hood, etc. If you have enough money you could do anything to a car, so maybe it was an auto swap. The person driving was a large lady who looked like she was driving a Hyundia Sonata by her driving stance haha. Oh and it was a damn shame because the car was flithy, if I had a Terminator I'd keep it clean always.

There's nothing like spinning all the way through 3 rd gear and finally hooking in fourth!
Drool... I love going out to "the valley" where I live and just letting lose from a stop. I was taking a girl back to her dorm one night and I stoped underneith an over pass (enhances thesound of the exhaust)and just let loose getting sidewayschirping2nd and 3rd. After she got done gripping the seats shehad a big smile on her face and was like "Now I loveMustangs".
Old 03-10-2007, 01:35 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

yeah i would think it was a very powerful cobra, or just the lady is too lazy to shift and had the money to do an auto swap, alotta drag cobras have autos for the more consistent times.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:56 PM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

The switch is becoming more and more popular all the time.

Too bad the lady driving it didn't keep it clean.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:11 PM
IROLLSALEEN
2nd Gear Member

yep my term has no love for the rears.how about going around someone on the freeway and leaving rubber the whole way, I almost sh*t.

Quick Reply: Automatic Terminators?