4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 02:14 AM
TheBob98GT
2nd Gear Member

Default PI swap

if i bought the complete PI conversion kit, could i possibly install it myself? i feel like if i were able to accomplish this then i would take a big step in automotive mechanics. i mean as long as i got the right tools, parts and instructions, how hard could it really be? or could i be over-looking this? if u have any experience working on the internals of a motor please let me know what i could be in store for. also how much extra would it cost to get the heads ported?
Old 11-05-2004, 02:49 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

Default RE: PI swap

your head porting can cost anywhere from 600-1000, depending on who you hire and how much porting you want done. as far as the install, well basically if you have or have access to all the necassary tools, have some good knowledge of engine building, you should be able to do it yourself. you'll end up paying a shop a grand or so to do the swap, so unless you dont have the tools and knowledge doing it yourself may be better for you.it may take some time and patience though.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:57 AM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Damn, is it really $1000 for a shop to do the swap??? I've got my PI heads and intake sitting here, but I don't really want to do the install. My friend and I have done all the modding so far, but I think this may be out of my leauge.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:00 AM
TheBob98GT
2nd Gear Member

BC your just the guy i need to talk too. by the way thanks for giving me some confidence if i plan on doing this on my own. i dont know about porting if i should do it or not. i think a good grinding cam would fill in perfectly. hopefully one day i can push as much horsepower u can. by the way what do run in the 1/8 and 1/4 miles?
also will the stock non-PI headers match up with the PI exhaust port?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:43 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

Devin, a good shop will charge between $600 and &1100 just for the labor. plus the cost of bolts gaskets etc.... i bought my heads in sept of 2003, and i didnt get them in the shop till the end of may, and my car wasnt done till july!! so i know how your feeling right now.

Bob98GT, porting would be a good idea if you want to run a nice set of cams or a s/c. it will help you makesome extra power. i havent ran my car yet, but guys in drag set ups have run high 11's with just over 300 rwhp. your headers should bolt up fine, but since they have to come off to do the swap, this would be a great time to swap them out for some midlegnths or long tubes.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:58 PM
TheBob98GT
2nd Gear Member

dang that sounds too nice to be able to 11's. i know if i put this in myself it's gonna be a b**** but i think i can do it. however i dont think it will be able to run once i get finished because of timing offsets and stuff. where can i get some good instructions? also if it just bolts right in, can i do it with just regular bolt tools or will i need some kind of special tools?
Old 11-05-2004, 04:20 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

http://www.bossracing.net/Tech%20Art...ap%20page1.htm

Click the link for a completely detailed install with pictures. It should help a lot. You will need a ratchet and socket set with extensions, wrenches, and a torque wrench. It's mostly just basic hand tools. You will need new head bolts though because Ford uses TTY head bolts so they're only good once. Most people say it's a lot easier to do the swap if you pull the engine out of the car, so it might be a good idea if you want to save some frustration. The downside is you have to do a lot more work such as unbolting the transmission and supporting it, unhooking everything from the engine, etc. You can do it with the engine in the car but some areas will be pretty cramped. Anyway good luck!

I just noticed you mentioned buying a complete conversion kit, which should include new head bolts, so dismiss that part.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:58 PM
TheBob98GT
2nd Gear Member

what does unbolting the tranny have to with changing the heads?
Old 11-06-2004, 01:50 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

they took out the engine to do the swap, which i would recommend, its a pain doing it in the car. i say go for it if u have some experience with engines and all, its really not that tuff. i stuck to that article that usa posted and it worked out pretty good. except the whole two sensors to one on the intake manifold, different size bolts for the timing cover on the heads, and new heater hose, other than that piece of cake!
Old 11-06-2004, 02:56 PM
neogenic83
3rd Gear Member

11's are alittle out of reach the fastes NA 2V runs high 11's with 368 to the wheels built suspension and 500lb of fat taken out of the car. but with the 300 u will have a good low 13 car mabe with high 12's with gears

Quick Reply: PI swap