4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question about JLT's RAI filters.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
r3gan
1st Gear Member

Default Question about JLT's RAI filters.

Ok, I have a 2002 GT with a MAF. I recently bought JLT's RAI system for my year. The reason I went with their RAI instead of CAI is for "ease-ability" to get at and clean my filter. I live in Canada, and my car's a daily driver... rain or shine, snow or dust, so I clean the filter quite often. The RAI makes this easier than having to dig it out of the fender well. I figured their RAI is better than stock anyways.

My question is concerning the air filter with this JLT kit. I was told that I should use an oil-less filter with my car, because an oiled one might cause some problems with oil being sucked up against the sensor in my MAF. Has anyone heard of this being a problem? Or has anyone experienced this? Do you recommend an oil-less filter for my application, or will I be ok just as long as I don't over soak the filter when cleaning it?

Thanks ahead of time for the input!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 PM
klfutrelle
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about JLT's RAI filters.

It is just a myth about oil being sucked in.
Some helpful info http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

my friend just cleaned his filter and didnt put any oil back on it and has been runing good for 10k miles
Old 03-12-2007, 11:08 PM
r3gan
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klfutrelle

It is just a myth about oil being sucked in.
Some helpful info http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
That's EXACTLY the info I was looking for... I had no idea this was just a myth. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 PM
r3gan
1st Gear Member

Boooooo.... well, I'm disappointed with the JLT RAI system from the get go... well actually, haven't even been able to GO! I went to install the RAI after work, only to find out that the rubber reducer that connects the 4" pipe to my MAF is WAAAAAY too big to properly fit the MAF. I wouldn't even be able to clamp it tight against the MAF. The little sticker on the box says, "RAI Complete Kit 1996-2004 Mustang GT Black", and I've got a 2002 model... perhaps they just packaged the wrong reducer?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

JLT has some incomplete kits, you may have to call and them n stuff... i had to do this because i got one of those "imcomplete" set haha but it was cool because they sent me a whole new box and told me to take whatever i needed n stuff
Old 03-13-2007, 11:08 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I have one on the Bucket and one on Project 1992 Coupe and have been happy with their products.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r3gan

Boooooo.... well, I'm disappointed with the JLT RAI system from the get go... well actually, haven't even been able to GO! I went to install the RAI after work, only to find out that the rubber reducer that connects the 4" pipe to my MAF is WAAAAAY too big to properly fit the MAF. I wouldn't even be able to clamp it tight against the MAF. The little sticker on the box says, "RAI Complete Kit 1996-2004 Mustang GT Black", and I've got a 2002 model... perhaps they just packaged the wrong reducer?
after helping install a jlt on my friends mach ive decided they a really ****ty and home-made looking, didnt fit right at all
Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 PM
r3gan
1st Gear Member

Well I'm sure I won't mind the kit... just as long as I can get the parts to properly install it. I've got another question about the filter. Does the filter just sit/hang off the end of the pipe? There doesn't seem to be anything with the kit that holds the filter to the body of the car or anything. Is it supposed to just lay inside the heat shield? If this is the case, will that bang around and cause noise while I'm driving?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 AM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

Once u band clamp every thing down nothing will move plus it will be a extremely tight fit.

Quick Reply: Question about JLT's RAI filters.