4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How did you learn?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default How did you learn?

So having parents that are not into cars and noone in the family that is either... I am in love with everything about cars and i find myself stuck when i try to learn about them. My dad does not have the tools/know how to teach me... Hell i had to go and buy a jack to do my oil change.. Well i HATE paying people to install my mods... So how does someone in my position learn to work on their car? And i know i may get some replies that say JUST GO DO IT but what happens when im digging into my engine and i dont know wtf im doing? Anyways... How did you guys learn?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 AM
dsd99gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How did you learn?

i learned when i was in the 6th grade and my dad made me change the transmission in his bronco. of course he helped lift when i needed him to but i honestly say GO DO IT!!! There are tons of smart people on this forum and im sure if you make something go wrong under the hood SOMEONE here has had the same problem! You can just ask us all here for help! Most things arent as complicated as you may think.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 AM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

me, i just dug right in. and the internet is your friend when it comes to learning about your. and were all here to help too
Old 03-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

I come from a ford backround which helps, but I have taken two automotive classes, one an all around maintenence and know how class, and one engine specific class, which helped emensly, this website has been most helpful on what to do with mustangs, what parts are best for for your buck and what have you,
Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 AM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

Buy a piece of crap car and tear it apart.Then rebuild it after you get it torn apart.The best way to learn is to do it first hand and there is nothing better to practice on than a junk car.Also ther is a ton of info on the internet.If you are not sure how to do something look it up on google and youwill most likely find it on the internet somewhere.Good luck!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

So most of you guys teach yourself? See i would love to do that but if i f something up or something goes wrong... This is my daily driver which i owe over 10k on so i would be screwed!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:03 AM
WhItEvEnOm
2nd Gear Member

me and my buddy installed my cai and other misc stuff been when it comes to digging in the engine i leave that stuff to the pros lol. rather them do it right then me trying too and fu**** up real bad lol
Old 03-15-2007, 02:03 AM
KYZER
1st Gear Member

what ever your doing take it apart put all the bolt with the same part they came off of and go along or record while you are doing it so you dont forget or even pics along the way
Old 03-15-2007, 02:04 AM
Reed44
3rd Gear Member

My grandpa tought me everything. Basically when I was little I would tear something apart for no reason and put it back together. I also race four-wheelers and those always break, so 90% of it came from there.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:16 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I wont lie.. im not really tech savvy..

but I'd love to learn..

ive done the basic spark plugs, oil filter/fuel filter.. change oil... etc...

gonna do a shifter this spring..
im like 90% of the other motorists on the road though, in when it really comes to doing something major, i'm up a **** creek with no paddle

Quick Reply: How did you learn?