4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2000 GT to cobra 03

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Schwarttzy

Default 2000 GT to cobra 03

Ok I have a 2000 mustang gt and I have been slowly converting it over to a COBRA 03, I want tostick a 03 cobra supercharger on my mustang and was woundering what it would require to do that. My eninge for the most part is stock, bigger intake filter, computer chip, and timing and now I want to get the supercharger on top of my block, doesn't have to be perfect, just work, and if I got 50 more horse I would be plenty happy. Keep in mind cheap without sacrificing.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:07 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 2000 GT to cobra 03

it would require you to get a custom intake manifold fabricated, and your right it wont give you that much ponies. not to mention the stock 03 cobra blower runs very hot and its unefficient compared to other blowers. your better off getting a dedicated supercharger like vortech or kenne bell. it will be less of a headache in the end and you'll gain more ponies.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Schwarttzy

I couldn't get a cobra 03 intake manifold?
Old 03-16-2007, 02:14 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

cobras have 4 valves per cylindar, and GT motors have 2 valves per cylindar.

so no
Old 03-16-2007, 02:29 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Not cheap to do. You need heads with cams, computer, harness, and all the goddies that go with the supercharger. Why are you trying to be a poser? I really hope you don't put and snakes on the car or anything that says cobra.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

the money you are going to spend to convert your car into a Cobra is insane. i would just buy one.

-Body panels
-brakes
-blower ( good luck )
-tranny
-IRS (if you even want it)

plus you if you supercharge your 2V you will only be able to run 400 420 hp, somewhere around there. and that is what a Cobra puts down with just a bolt-on or two.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:36 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

No matter what this guy does his car will never be a cobra. This guy is a poser and should be banned for stupid posts like this. Go buy a cobra bud and stop posin'

i should also be banned
Old 03-16-2007, 03:49 PM
dye
3rd Gear Member

I think ban is a little far dont ya? But yea it really would just be a waste of money
Old 03-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Rook6
3rd Gear Member

Well that's a gaggle of useless responses. You honestly need to be smoking crack to think going a 2v to 4v swap costs more than buying a damn Terminator. You just need to be smart about it.

Here's what you need to do, bud...

There's a couple of things you need. First to consider is a 4v swap. I mean if you're gonna build a Cobra, you may as well build it all the way. However, if you want more than 420hp with a 2v you'll need to build up the bottom end. The block will be fine, but the stock rotating assembly won't take much more than that. Best bet is to find a wrecked Terminator. Not nearly as hard as it sounds, I was able to find several online back when I thought about doing the 4v swap. Wiring harness? Couple hundred bucks brand new.

More on the 2v option, if you don't want to do the 4v swap (and why wouldn't you?) but you want to have a blower mounted on top of your intake, I believe Kenne Bell makes one just for you. There's a guy that runs at the strip near Bragg with one of these. It's nice, it's real nice. If you go 4v and still want a blower...go Kenne Bell anyway.

For the IRS, also not hard at all, if you do in fact want it. The reason it's not TOO hard to find is because alot of more drag-conscious Cobra guys
swap in live axles. Hence where I got mine. Also, if you get an IRS it comes with the rear brakes, so that's halfway done.

For front brakes...who DOESN'T sell a Cobra front brake kit? Honestly...

Bodywork lol....how is this honestly supposed to be hard? Only thing I've never run across was the decklid spoiler. It's not like you can't order it from Ford if you wanted to, anyway.

T-56....yeah this one's gonna cost a minimum of $1550 or so, and it'll be second hand. OR you can get a new one for $3200.

Steering rack! Believe it or not, GTs and Cobras have different steering racks. No kidding!

Suspension. Bilsteins. Bar none...and you'll only need two, the IRS will have two already IN FACT!...I'm having mine replaced and if you want the stock Cobra ones, I'll sell them to you.

Interior will probably be the hardest. Couldn't even tell you where to start there, bud.

Really, remember the "cheap/fast/good" rule. You can only pick two. You can do either of the above in a cost effective manner if you're patient and do a little rummaging.

..and to everyone who said this wouldn't be cheap....what exactly about this car hobby is ever cheap? LMAO
Old 03-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Not cheap to do. You need heads with cams, computer, harness, and all the goddies that go with the supercharger. Why are you trying to be a poser? I really hope you don't put and snakes on the car or anything that says cobra.
The Cobra heads won't fit on a 2V there chief. It would require a 4V swap for the Cobra blower to work. Even then, as stated before, you'd be better off finding a '99 or '01 4V motor and putting a Vortech on it.

Quick Reply: 2000 GT to cobra 03