4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cheap or free hp gains

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:01 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cheap or free hp gains

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

ORIGINAL: JayC

Yep , it no doubt leaned you out. Better datalog that thing or say bye-bye to your pistons[8D]
Why would it lean the car out? That's what the MAF is for, to meter the amount of air and add the proper amount of fuel.
Because anytime you alter the path, flow or velocity of the air across the MAF you change how it reads, therefore the A/F ratio. Lean = more horsepower, how do you think you gained if not for the leaner mixture?
Uhh, maybe it's getting more air and fuel cramed in the motor making more power. More air blows through the MAF, the MAF tells the computer that there is more air, the computer adds more fuel which makes more power. I may be wrong about this but if I am I'd like some one to explain to me why. The guy that tuned my car told me I could go from 8 psi to 12 without retuning it. I've already went from 8 to 10 almost a year ago and it hasn't blown up yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't adding two more lbs of boost be blowing a lot more air through the MAF than taking the filter off?
All I can say is if your tuner approves the removal of the air filter, then he should be the one to replace your shortblock. Please post the name of your tuner if he has approved this mod. I will be sure to avoid him.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:12 AM
jusnkris
2nd Gear Member

i think everyone is a little off topic. lookin for tips to free up hp or improve track times.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:23 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

I heard that if you take the screen out of your air flow sensor you gain a few HP. True or False?

Do you gain HP if you take off the A/C unit?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:25 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jusnkris

i think everyone is a little off topic. lookin for tips to free up hp or improve track times.
Well, the "driver mod" is the most overlooked and only free mod I know of[8D]
Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

and that would be? [8D][&:]
Old 03-18-2007, 02:33 AM
jusnkris
2nd Gear Member

pulling your ac frees up horsepower you already got....but who wants to go without that luxury?
Old 03-18-2007, 02:33 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponyrideGT2004

Drivermod= learn to drive Nothing will make more difference in your E.T.[8D]
Old 03-18-2007, 02:34 AM
jusnkris
2nd Gear Member

jc what mods you got....your f-in quick!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:35 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponyrideGT2004

Drivermod= learn to drive Nothing will make more difference in your E.T.[8D]

And you know all this because you're...
Old 03-18-2007, 08:49 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Yep , it no doubt leaned you out. Better datalog that thing or say bye-bye to your pistons[8D]
Why would it lean the car out? That's what the MAF is for, to meter the amount of air and add the proper amount of fuel.
Because anytime you alter the path, flow or velocity of the air across the MAF you change how it reads, therefore the A/F ratio. Lean = more horsepower, how do you think you gained if not for the leaner mixture?
Uhh, maybe it's getting more air and fuel cramed in the motor making more power. More air blows through the MAF, the MAF tells the computer that there is more air, the computer adds more fuel which makes more power. I may be wrong about this but if I am I'd like some one to explain to me why. The guy that tuned my car told me I could go from 8 psi to 12 without retuning it. I've already went from 8 to 10 almost a year ago and it hasn't blown up yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't adding two more lbs of boost be blowing a lot more air through the MAF than taking the filter off?
All I can say is if your tuner approves the removal of the air filter, then he should be the one to replace your shortblock. Please post the name of your tuner if he has approved this mod. I will be sure to avoid him.
He didn't say anything about removing the air filter but he did say it was ok to run 4 more lbs of boost without retuning. I did tell you that I uped the boost by two more lbs a year ago. So do you think that running 8 lbs of boost without the air filter would move more air through the MAF than going from 8 to 10 lbs of boost? I believe that running two more lbs of boost would increase the air flow through the MAF a lot more than just taking the air filter off. So I uped the boost by two lbs a year ago without retuning and it still hasn't blown up. Guess I have a freak with extra bad azz factory pistons.

Quick Reply: Cheap or free hp gains