4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Impressions on MGW shifter and MRT catted H

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:02 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Default Impressions on MGW shifter and MRT catted H

Well, on Friday I took the cobra to a local shop and had my MRT catted H installed for me. All I gotta say is wow, it really woke the car up from the stock catted H. The fitment went very well and only took about an hour to get it on, and that was waiting 20-25 mins on the stock H to cool off first.

As for driving impressions, it sounds amazing. Its deeper and just a tad bit louder at an idle. While cruising around, it still sounds nice and deep and you can deffinetly tell now that its not stock, but still not too loud and annoying. Where it really shines is when I get on it. It gets very deep and alot louder at WOT. Plus, I love downshifting andhearing the deceleration and how it sounds... music to my ears lol.Pretty much, it was exactly the sound that I was looking for. I wanted a more classic sound and be deep as opposed to an X that tends to sound a lil more exotic than an H. Very happy with this product and it looks very nice to boot. I couldn't be any more pleased with it.

Now for the MGW. It took me part of last night and today to get it on. And thats basically cause I had never installed a shifter so I'm very slow at it. Honestly, the hardest part was getting the damn console out so I could take the stock shifter out. After that, it was fine... and I definetly took my time with it. The install is very clean, and everything fit just fine. I took it out just a few mins ago and just to see how it performed. Much better than the stock shifter. The throws and deffinetly shorter and cleaner. I feel that it would be hard to miss a shift with the MGW where with the stocker, it could easily be done. And to me, it feels butter smooth already. I'm sure it'll feel even better with a few more miles on it. Again, very happy with this product and would reccomend it to anyone who is considering a short shifter.

Overall, I am very pleased with this round of mods. Now on to the next phase. Next set of mods will be window tint, tail light tint, and a billetflow IRS brace. That will have to wait a couple of weeks for my mod money to build back up. Anyways, thanks for everyones help so far... if I can install a shifter, I know anyone can. [sm=shades.gif]
Old 03-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Impressions on MGW shifter and MRT catted H

Wow those are the exact 2 mods I'm thinking of getting for my GT here this month. I agree, the muscle sound of a good H pipe is what I think a Mustang should sound like. Definately going MRT.

I'm still torn between Tri-Ax and MGW. What shifter did you have on your old GT?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:15 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

Wow those are the exact 2 mods I'm thinking of getting for my GT here this month. I agree, the muscle sound of a good H pipe is what I think a Mustang should sound like. Definately going MRT.

I'm still torn between Tri-Ax and MGW. What shifter did you have on your old GT?
The GT was just stock... plus it was automatic[:'(]

So I really cant use that car as a comparison. The stock shifter on the cobra was what I was using as a reference about a stock shifter.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: goldeneagle_10

The GT was just stock... plus it was automatic[:'(]

So I really cant use that car as a comparison. The stock shifter on the cobra was what I was using as a reference about a stock shifter.
Ohh okay. Hey how is that 360* handle rotation thing., does it actually bring the shifter close to you?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

So you are using MRT H catted with stock cat-back system and stock headers?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:19 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Ohh okay. Hey how is that 360* handle rotation thing., does it actually bring the shifter close to you?
Yes it does... it feels great. I have it angled at about 7 o'clock toward me and its very comfortable. Even 5th gear is easily in reach. You don't have to row a boat anymore. Very nice.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:21 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang_NTriangle

So you are using MRT H catted with stock cat-back system and stock headers?
No, I have the Steeda catback with the MRT catted H. The steeda is very much like the Borla. Its just not hardly as loud as the Stingers. Which to me, is exactly perfect for me. DEEP and loud... when I want it to be.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

I bet that sounds niiice. I am going to order myself and MGW pretty soon, considering this is the 39790745th thread about how much everyone loves them. haha
Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wgdt21

I bet that sounds niiice. I am going to order myself and MGW pretty soon, considering this is the 39790745th thread about how much everyone loves them. haha
Yeah no kidding man. For only $180 we might as well jump on the wagon and see what everybody is raving about. Gonna order mine tonight I think.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:40 PM
benk87
2nd Gear Member

where did you guy these two mods at?

Quick Reply: Impressions on MGW shifter and MRT catted H