4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4 bank flip chip OR SCT TUNER

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:11 AM
mustang430
3rd Gear Member

Default 4 bank flip chip OR SCT TUNER

i have the oppurtunity to purchase a brand new SCT 4 bank chip for $200 ora tuner for $350......which should i get and why? my future plans are gears, MAYBE forged shortblock and spray it, or blow it.....i dont ever plan on messin with settings myself. id leave that to the person tuning it.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:48 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 4 bank flip chip OR SCT TUNER

Tuner. All day. I have a chip and really would like to pull it out and get a tuner.

It allows you to upload a different tune any time you need it.. you can make tweaks here and there, it does data loging, you can set the rev limiter real low if you leave it at a shop.. it just gives you sooo many more options than a chip does. Even with a 4 bank chip, if you change something, yo uwill have to have all 4 tune's redone, which means pulling the chip to program it... with a tuner its a simple change
Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 AM
mustang430
3rd Gear Member

ttt....anyone
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 AM
mustang430
3rd Gear Member

hmmm...alright....anyone else
Old 03-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaV

Tuner. All day. I have a chip and really would like to pull it out and get a tuner.

It allows you to upload a different tune any time you need it.. you can make tweaks here and there, it does data loging, you can set the rev limiter real low if you leave it at a shop.. it just gives you sooo many more options than a chip does. Even with a 4 bank chip, if you change something, yo uwill have to have all 4 tune's redone, which means pulling the chip to program it... with a tuner its a simple change
+1
Old 03-19-2007, 01:01 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Get the tuner, it will be more flexable in the future.

You said your looking to get gears, you don't want to get the chip burned and installed, and then get a set of gears and have to get another retune.

Retunes can get pretty expensive when using a chip. With a handheld there are lots of times you still need a custom tune, but often enough you can just make the adjustments yourself with the handheld. It can save you alot of money down the road.

The only way I would have another chip would be if I was running nitrous... I would want to be able to flip a switch and have a nitrous tune and a n/a tune.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:01 AM
NoRdO
2nd Gear Member

tuner man, no question.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:07 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

You said your looking to get gears, you don't want to get the chip burned and installed, and then get a set of gears and have to get another retune.

Retunes can get pretty expensive when using a chip. With a handheld there are lots of times you still need a custom tune, but often enough you can just make the adjustments yourself with the handheld. It can save you alot of money down the road.

The only way I would have another chip would be if I was running nitrous... I would want to be able to flip a switch and have a nitrous tune and a n/a tune.
SCT tuners can hold multiple tunes.. you can actualy accomplish the same thing by having multiple programed tunes on the handheld and reflashing.. would take longer than just flipping the switch to change banks, but you cant exactly switch tunes on the chip instantly either.. not like you can switch between NA and nitrous on the highway...

Old 03-19-2007, 01:07 AM
mustang430
3rd Gear Member

alright guys. thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 AM
burn64
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaV

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

SCT tuners can hold multiple tunes.. you can actualy accomplish the same thing by having multiple programed tunes on the handheld and reflashing.. would take longer than just flipping the switch to change banks, but you cant exactly switch tunes on the chip instantly either.. not like you can switch between NA and nitrous on the highway...

I thought you can. I was planning on getting the chip for that purpose. What do you have to do to switch?

Quick Reply: 4 bank flip chip OR SCT TUNER