MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Changing the Oil (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/261776-changing-the-oil.html)

benk87 03-20-2007 07:08 PM

RE: Changing the Oil

^iLLuSiOn^ 03-20-2007 07:12 PM

id put mobil 1 10w-30

benk87 03-20-2007 07:14 PM

yea i just got that exact oil

mariotraci 03-20-2007 07:42 PM

get a jack, jack stand in a 2tonkit at walmarts for 30 or so

ORIGINAL: sitnlopro99gt
jacks depending on what you get 20 bux a piece

04MustangGT 03-20-2007 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: benk87

I have a black 98 GT 5Spd. I just want to know what all components I need to change my oil? What is rocommended oil i use? I am doing this from my house so tell me everything and anything that I need to get the job done. Just take this question like I have nothing but my car. Let me know... THanks in advance.
I may not know anything about MODS but changing your oil is just as important than anything else.

Use a floor jack and place jack stands (2ton) underneath and have chocks to block your rear wheels from sliding backwards and make sure your emergency brake is on. Or you can use ramps, but make sure that you use your emergency brakes and use the chocks.

I like to use my spare tire or whatever else (cynderblocks, etc...)underneath as extra protection...God forbid the car should slide off the jacks. Take extra protection. Safety is the best policy. Use eye goggles too. Don't want oil in you eyes.

1st: If you're under a waranty ...Make sure that whatever oil you use, conforms with Ford's specifications, otherwise if your motor goes and you got the wrong oil in it you GET NOTHING back

2nd: Read your owners manual for how many quarts your engine takes. Don't accept anybody saying to you 5 or 6 quarts. It's one or the other.

3rd: Make sure that when you replace the oil filter that you fill the new filter,1/4 of the way, with the oil you're using. So when you start the motor the oil hits your crank right away. Nothing stays dry :)

4th:Also put a little oil around the oil filter gasket (so it doesn't stick the next time you take it off and replace it)

5th: Check your dipstick make sure it's at the fill line.

You can download the owners manual for your car from the internet.

04MustangGT 03-20-2007 08:01 PM

p.s. Don't go to Walmart or anyplace like that for your car needs. Keep the money flowing in this country and not Asia. You got a Mustang, not a Honda! Keep it American ;)

02 Ninja 03-20-2007 08:03 PM

As for oil, I use castrol 5w 20 full synthetic (6qts)& a fram oil filter. I use fram becauseI don't have to use a tool to remove it. I've never jacked my car up because my drain pan slides under my car without me having to jack it up. I'm not fatso I can reach my drain plug and oil filter from lying on my back. Drain your oil, remove your filter. Before you install your new filter, take your finger and put a small amount of oil around the seal of the new filter. Put your drain plug back in before you put new oil in. Don't make the mistake of my younger brother. Put filter on "hand tight".Good Luck

04MustangGT 03-20-2007 08:07 PM

+1 on hand tightening the filter

benk87 03-20-2007 08:23 PM

omfg i am doing this right now.. my car is jacked up and I cant seem to break the f'in bolt on the oil pan itself to drain the oill...... It is f'in tight.. any tips on how to get it off w/o damaging it..

benk87 03-20-2007 08:27 PM

I am also doing lefty loosy righty tighty.. it is tight as crap... ANY helP?