MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Changing the Oil (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/261776-changing-the-oil.html)

02 Ninja 03-20-2007 08:37 PM

RE: Changing the Oil

It shouldn't be that hard! Make sure you have the correct wrench. 9/16 i believe.

SmallFeesh 03-20-2007 08:47 PM

Ok.... here is the RIGHT way to do it... not that anyone really told you the wrong way... but this is the cleanest, best way to do it! What you will need...
[ul][*]Ramps.... you can get them at any auto parts store or wall-mart[*]A Jack... same as above, but I recomend Craftsman, from sears... or if you have a Home Depot around Huskey isnt bad, and it is still American[*]5 Quarts Motorcraft Synthetic blend Motor oil... this is Fords Oil... good stuff and cheap! Or Royal Purple(expensive), Mobil 1 is good stuff to! 5W20 is what is recomended for 00-04... not sure on 98, probably the same.[*]MotorCraft Oil Filter, I would use this filter with any oil you get![*]1 Can of Carb Cleaner... this is to clean all the oil you will get on the undercairage![*]a 15mm Socket... or somewhere there abouts, and a wrench... just get a socket set... again Craftsman or Huskey is best... but autoparts stores, wal-mart.. all wil have them![*]an oil drain pan.. Auto parts store or Wal-mart[*]For the filter removal the best thing to use is that tool box liner stuff... it is the grippy stuff... dont know the name, but it is used to keep all the tools in the place you put them while in the box, this stuff works GREAT at giving you grip on your oil filter when removing it! I think AutoZone will sell it... you may be able to use a filter wrench... but I found it troublesome to get it on a sideways filter.... not alot of room![*]If you want to be really safe you will need some jack stands... but get some short ones.[*]You will also need a funnel to put the oil in without making a huge mess! [/ul]
Ok... now we get to how you change the oil the RIGHT way!
Drive your car up on the ramps... have some one spot you... or make sure you get them lined up right! It may take a few tries the first few times you attempt this! Once the car is on theramps put it in gear andfirmly engage yourEbrake! Now we get to the part NO ONE mentioned! Take your jack and jack the rear of the car up using the reargear housing, (pumpkin), jackthe car up untillthe rear is LEVEL with the front. This is to ensure you get all the oil out!Otherwise some old oil may be left due to the car being tilted! This is where those short jackstands come into play! Use them if ya got em'!

Now you are ready to change youroil! get your sockets, wrench, oil drain pan, and yourgripy stuff or filter wrench and get under the car. (a creeper is REAL nice for this!)find the right socket... about 15mm, andlosen the oil plug, just loosen it! Once loosened slide your drain pan under your plug, (note: the oil will shoot out a good distance, make you the pan reaches about6 inches in front of the plug and covers it to the plug!) now fully unscrew the plug, keep your face away or you may get sprayed!Once the oil is just dripping down you can slideyou drain pan over soyou can remove the filter, make surethe oil from the car is still dripping into the pan though! If the filter does not unscew with your hand alone use the gippy stuff, or a wrench, or anything that will give your hand more grip! If the wrench dosent work... or you cannot get the filter off for whatever reason, you may poke ascrewdriver into it and twist it off that way! Once the filter is removed drop it into the drain pan, it has alot of oil in it! Now let it all drain out for a few minutes! While all this oil is draining you can prep your new filter! On the new filter there is a rubber seal.. take this out and coat both sides with some of the new oil you just bought! Normally I would tell you to fill the filter half way with some oil... but these cars have sideways filters... so DONT do this because most the oil will just poor out! Now we are ready to install the plug and new filter! Get under the car again.. and bring a rag and the Carb. cleaner! Wipe off the oil plug with the rag and screw and tighten the plug up. take the rag and clean the oil filter housing, screw the filter on, make it tight, but not to tight! Hand tight is fine! Now take the carb cleaner and get all that nasty oil off the underside of the car! You do not need to wipe the carb cleaner off. Now you are ready to put in the new oil! under the hood remove the oil cap, insert the funnel and pour the oil in one quart at a time. Once all the oil is in start her up, check for leaks, if no leaks are detected shut her off, lower the rear down, and drive her off the ramps! Shut her off again and check the oil level!

SmallFeesh 03-20-2007 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: benk87

I am also doing lefty loosy righty tighty.. it is tight as crap... ANY helP?
If you are using an open end wrench... use another open end wrench on the first to make it longer to get more leverage... it is hard to explain this without showing you! LOL... use a hammer! Or... if you have WD-40 spray it with that! If not spray it with something!

04MustangGT 03-20-2007 09:33 PM

Use a breaker bar, instead of ratchet. :)

jmat2407 03-20-2007 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: ^iLLuSiOn^

i jack mine up from the frame on either side... then i let the oil out and let the jack back down to sit there for a little while, also your looking at transmission fluid not oil, how many miles are on your car?
Do not just tell him to jack it up by the frame. I've seen so many idiots out there that just stick the jack somewhere where it "looks" ok to jack the car up. There is a reinforced weld on each side of every car and that is where to place the jack.

SmallFeesh 03-21-2007 05:05 AM

When jacking up from the front I put the jack between the cross members, there is a plate there... I forget what it is called... skid plate or something....

geetee03 03-21-2007 05:06 AM

i changed my oil today in about 30 minutes, the bolt is 9/16's if i remember correctly.

lVlustang 03-21-2007 05:08 AM

Just buy Rhino Ramps man. Makes it real easy, however I am getting lowering springs, so I don't know how effective they will be afterwards.

NORMAN99 03-21-2007 07:28 AM

AGAIN, DON'T FORGET TODRAIN THE OIL FIRST!!!!!!!
When my buddy went on a six month cruise (in the navy), his girlfriend decides to do him a favor by changing his oil on his 2001 mustang. Well she put the new oil in but never took the old oil out! On the way to the store, you guess it engine trouble.

Don't let this happen to you!!!........:D

SmallFeesh 03-21-2007 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: NORMAN99

AGAIN, DON'T FORGET TODRAIN THE OIL FIRST!!!!!!!
When my buddy went on a six month cruise (in the navy), his girlfriend decides to do him a favor by changing his oil on his 2001 mustang. Well she put the new oil in but never took the old oil out! On the way to the store, you guess it engine trouble.

Don't let this happen to you!!!........:D

LMAO..... Really... I think I woke my roomate up again!!! WTF?? If I came home and heard my girl had changed my oil for me... first thing I would do is re-do it!! I wouldnt check it... I wouldnt start the car... I wouldnt go to sleep first! Number one thing I would do is change the damn oil!! That is.... I fear... she drove the car first didnt she?? She drove the damn thing to the store and had the trouble herself huh?? Ohhhhhh..... boy! Can u imagine the sh!t that would hit the fan!! :(