4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Magnaflow exhaust - rattling problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:17 PM
5speed
2nd Gear Member

Default Magnaflow exhaust - rattling problem?

Hey guys, I just installed my new magnaflow exhaust and I am getting a rattle from the left exhaust tip. The exhaust came missing the set screw that attaches the hanger to the exhaust tip, so I had both sides tack welded. Problem is...the rattle is still there on the side with the missing set screw. I made a call into Magnaflow and they are sending me a new set screw. The rattle is present at idle sometimes and everytimeI rev the engine. When I push my finger against the exhuast tipat idle, the rattle goes away. Do you think it is the set screw or is something else loose? Let me know. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Magnaflow exhaust - rattling problem?

Are you sure the rattle is coming from the hanger? Maybe there is a bolt that is not tightened down properly. My Magnapacks have no rattle whatsoever.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:24 PM
5speed
2nd Gear Member

No, I am not positive, but I had the bolts retightened after I drove it about 50 miles and since it is on the side that is missing the set screw, I am just assuming it is the tip. Maybe I will go back to the shop and have hime retightnen everything again.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:44 AM
5speed
2nd Gear Member

Well I moved the set screw that I have over to the left side and still have the rattle. I then tightened both exhaust tips to the 2.5" tubing.No luck.The exhaust tipis still rattling unless I put pressure from my finger on it.Could it be the tubing inside the exhaust tip is rubbing against the tip? I am going to take it to the shop and have him retighten everything soon, just wondering if there is any areas I should pay extra attention to. Has anyone else had any vibration issues?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:28 AM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

wiggle it to see if its loose. I had problesm with one of my tips being loose. I had to get it tacked on becuase I couldnt tighten it any more.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
ctstanger

Yeah, its likely the 2.5" tube, which goes into the Tip, that is rattling around, which the set screw doesn't have anything to do with.

There should be another bolt, at the base of the tip, that you should tighten the hell out of.

When I tightened it, with a little 1/4" rachet, I thought I bottomed it out and was tight, but after a day driving, it backed off the hanger and almost fell off completely! So I after lining it up, I did have many more turns to do. But then it snowed so I haven't had a chance to try it out again!?!

Actually, I suppose it could also be the Hanger too, the portion that extends way forward of the set screw, near the bolt I talk about above. Since its only cantilevered, there could be enough play where it vibrates and touches the Tips.

So you can try two things to see if you can locate it:
1) Tape around the hanger, or put a rag between the hanger and the tip, and rap it with your hands to see if it rattles (or grab it and shake it up and down). If no more rattle, then it probablywas that rod piece and you caneither find some sort of rubbercollar to put around the end,or cutt off the excess hanger length,close to the set screw fitting.
2) If there is still rattling after above, then try pulling off the tip, maybe tape up the 2.5" tube end, but it back on, and shake to see if the rattle changes tone because its now the taped 2.5" tube hitting the inside of the Tips. If this is the area, then either tightening the heck out of the bolt, I talk about above, or tack weld it in place, out to do.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I had the same problem.

You can take the other set screw out and go to ANY hardware store. They all have them.

I also suggest loctite capable of high temperatures. If that isn't enough, you can have them tacked in place & they will no longer rattle.

There is also a clamp that attaches the tip to the pipe. If it's not tight enough it'll rattle too.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
5speed
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I tightened the bolt on the exhuast tip pretty hard yesterday, but maybe I will try to tighten it more. It seemed to help the rattle a bit. Its wierd, I only hear the noise at certain RPM's. Like when I rev it up, I will hear it at the beginning of the RPM range, say around 2K not hear it at around 4K, then hear it again at 2K on its way back down to idle. Then only sometimes will I hear it at idle. I will also try looking at the hanger and see if it is rubbing against the tip. I already tack welded the tips in place hoping it would help resolve the problem, so unfortuantely I can't take the tips off.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I tacked mine and still had the rattle. The metal 'pole' above your tip - where it bends to go up into the rubber hanger in your bumper, that little bend can also hit the tip & cause a rattle.

Mine only rattled at weird RPM's like yours.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

Ya mine do the same thing. It rattles like crazy, then i tighten it, then it gets loose again ect. I got so sick of it rattling that i took both of my tips off yesterday. Im going to get diff ones and weld them on. I hate rattles.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow exhaust - rattling problem?